Chapter Nine

Rose arrived outside the council room the following day. The door was closed but she could hear Amaryllis and Marguerite from the other side.

She went to open the door but stopped. Why does Aunt Amaryllis want to talk to me? Rose wondered, thinking back to what Amaryllis had said at her birthday party.

Her thoughts were interrupted when she heard someone ask, "You going in, Rose?"

Rose turned around to see Aster waiting behind her. When Rose still didn't reply, he gestured towards the door.

"Oh, uh, yes, I'm going in. Sorry," Rose muttered.

Rose opened the door and walked in, Aster right behind her. Out of Rose's twenty one years she didn't quite come into the council room often. The only times she would be in here were when Basil ordered her to observe business talks or military meetings.

"Ah, Rose, how nice of you to join us," Amaryllis beamed, clasping her hands together.

Rose asked curiously, "Why am I here?"

Amaryllis snapped her fingers towards Marguerite, who went to a drawer to get out a piece of parchment, a quill, and ink.

"We're writing my will," Amaryllis declared. "I need to declare my two successors."

Rose pursed her lips and glanced at both Aster and Marguerite. "You already have two successors here, Aunt Amaryllis. Why am I here? It only takes three people to write the will."

Amaryllis took the quill and dipped it in ink before scribbling something on the parchment. "I discussed this with Aster yesterday. That was why we were both late to the party." She then pointed to what she wrote. Rose leaned in to see. Amaryllis continued. "Aster will be the first successor."

Aster straightened when he heard his name. Rose glanced at Aster, her eighteen year old cousin. Aster's lips curled into a small smile, but it didn't quite reach his eyes.

"As for second successor," Amaryllis finally said, "I wish to declare Rose as second successor."

Rose blinked in confusion. She immediately cut in, "What about Aunt Marguerite?"

Marguerite shifted uncomfortably, looking away. Amaryllis replied, "Marguerite doesn't feel comfortable becoming queen, and she has made it clear to me that she does not want to succeed to the throne. That's why you're here, Rose. I wish to ask you if it is alright for me to place you as second successor."

Rose was taken aback. She didn't expect this. She turned to Marguerite, "Why don't you want to be a successor, Marguerite? You are older and you probably have more experience."

Marguerite shook her head. "I don't do well with leadership. Please understand, Rose. If you are strongly against this then I will take second successor if I have to, but all of us agree that you would be a much better fit. Basil and Flora have taught you so much."

Rose inwardly sighed. Marguerite was right. Basil and Flora did teach her a lot since she was the oldest. On the other hand, though, Marguerite was older, and although she claimed that she doesn't like taking charge, it would make more sense to declare Marguerite as second successor. Rose could kind of see why Marguerite refused the throne, though. Despite being Rose's aunt, Marguerite was a lot younger than Basil and Amaryllis, about a ten year age difference between her older siblings and herself. As the youngest amidst her siblings, Marguerite would have a lot less experience compared to Basil and Amaryllis.

Rose finally nodded. "Very well, I will take second successor."

"Excellent." Amaryllis smiled proudly. She scribbled more words onto the parchment, writing Rose's name on it. "It's settled."