Chapter Eleven

Saige was up all night reviewing a textbook about herbs. As the Court Physician, she needed to be prepared to cure any remedy. Even if she didn't have the capability to cure it, she had to at least know how and explain it to the patient. She wasn't just the Court Physician, but she was also the physician for the central town.

Her home was situated just outside the castle, allowing access to both the Azalea royals and citizens of the central town.

A small clock ticked and eventually Saige heard twelve chimes.

Saige sighed and let out a yawn. "I think I should be all set. Time to go to bed."

She closed her book and put it back onto the shelf. Moments later, she heard rapid knocking on her door.

Who needs help at this time of night? Saige thought.

She opened the front door to see Aster along with a few knights carrying a body.

"Saige," Aster greeted. "I'm sorry to bother you so late at night. I-I really need your help."

Saige half-heard him. Her wide eyes were fixed on Amaryllis's limp body.

"I-Is that..." Saige gasped.

"Mother is dead," Aster finished, his voice in a cracked whisper. "I-I need you to clean her up for her funeral t-tomorrow."

Saige didn't know how to react. She saw Aster's hands shaking from shock. She was curious as to what happened, but at this time of night she suspected that Aster was in no mood for conflict.

"O-Of course," Saige replied. "The guards can set her on the wooden table in that room." She pointed to the room and the guards pushed past her.

"Thank you, Saige," Aster whispered, his eyes tired and lifeless. "I'll check back in the morning."

Saige bowed as the guards exited her home. She closed the door with an abrupt bang and put her hand to her mouth in disbelief.

Amaryllis is dead... Saige closed her eyes, breathing heavily. She then recomposed herself. Okay, cleaning her up will probably take about an hour. After I do that, I can go to sleep.

As she was preparing tools, she heard another eager knock on the door.

Believing it was Aster, she opened the door again, but it wasn't Aster.

"L-Lily! What are you doing here? Who's this?" Saige asked, her eyebrows raised in surprise.

Lily's eyes were wide and she seemed to be out of breath. The person who was with her had a crow mask over his face. He was unconscious and was splayed on a sheet of ice that was hovering in the air.

"C-Can you help me? He's hurt, and I..." Lily started.

Saige gasped when she saw what Lily was talking about. The person on the sheet of ice had a wound to their right shoulder.

"Oh my! Come in, hurry!" Saige ushered frantically. Lily hurriedly stepped inside, the ice hovering after her. "Lay him down here." Saige pointed to another wooden table.

Lily nodded and the sheet of ice moved and set itself down on the table.

"I-I'm sorry this is so sudden," Lily apologized.

"What's going on? Aster showed up about five minutes ago, and now you," Saige asked.

Lily's eyes then saw Amaryllis's body another table away from where they were situated. She gave a gasp of horror put her hands to her mouth in shock.