Chapter Eighteen

All Marguerite thought about was reaching the castle. She didn't know where she was going but she hoped that as long as she ran on the path she would eventually reach the castle. Acacia started to slow, still tired from giving light to Fern.

"Keep running, Acacia," Marguerite persisted gently. "You're doing great."

Acacia lost her balance for just a moment, tripping on some loose dirt. Marguerite lost her hold on Acacia's hand when she fell. They had been running so fast. When Marguerite finally stopped to turn around, Acacia was about twenty feet behind her. She gasped in fright when she turned around.

Crow stood before her. Acacia shrieked when she saw the crow mask, jolting a little more alert. Marguerite noticed some blood stained on Crow's left side.

Thierry... Marguerite instantly thought. She gritted her teeth and instantly marguerites started blooming around her feet. Crow grabbed Acacia from the ground and turned her around so that Marguerite could see Acacia's terrified expression.

Marguerite's icicles finally materialized, but Crow ordered, "Put out your ice, Marguerite."

Marguerite couldn't help but feel rage well up inside her. She was slightly surprised by her cold tone. "Let Acacia go, now."

Crow frowned. He brought his right hand up and flashed his claws out, screeching metal ringing in Acacia and Marguerite's ears. Crow smirked, allowing his fingernails to return to their normal size after making his point. He then rested his fingertips lightly on Acacia's throat, causing Acacia to tremble in fear.

"I have questions for you, Marguerite. I'll let Acacia go, but only if you put out your ice," Crow said.

Acacia called weakly, "Aunt Marguerite... I-I'm scared."

Marguerite clenched her fists. "Threatening my youngest niece is the lowest you can get, Crow. I have nothing to say to you, now let her go."

Marguerite cursed herself. If she attacked with her ice, she would most likely harm Acacia while Crow escaped unscathed. If she withdrew her ice, however, Acacia would still be at risk, and she would also be defenseless.

"Don't test me, Marguerite. I will slit Acacia's throat if you continue to be stubborn. Put out your ice, and I'll let her go," Crow said mercilessly, letting his fingertips give a gentle stroke across Acacia's neck in warning before resting them on her throat again. Acacia flinched and shut her eyes in fear, afraid that Crow would let his claws out again to slit her throat.

Acacia's power isn't meant to be used for fighting. She's too young to fight against Crow, too. She wouldn't know how to fight back even if she wanted to. Marguerite rapidly thought. She shook her fists in frustration, but they eventually loosened when Marguerite realized that she would have to comply with Crow's orders.

"Fine, I'll do as you say. Just... let Acacia go," Marguerite said softly. Her icicles immediately vanished, and the marguerites around her gradually diminished.

As Crow promised, he released Acacia, but he rushed forward and sprayed Marguerite with the salt water from his left hand.

Marguerite breathed heavily, expecting Crow to hurt Acacia. Instead, Crow relaxed himself.

"That wasn't so bad, was it? As I said, I have questions for you," Crow repeated himself. He saw Marguerite's eyes dart to Acacia. "Just you," he rephrased. "As promised, Acacia is free to go."

Marguerite called over to Acacia. "Acacia, sweetie, I'll meet you back at the castle. Run along this path and return to your sisters. They're worried about you."