Chapter Ten

Aster took a deep breath before entering his mother's room. Amaryllis was sitting at her dresser, with Amber brushing Amaryllis's blonde waves.

"Aster," Amaryllis addressed when she saw her son in the reflection. They exchanged knowing glances in the mirror. Amaryllis then snapped her fingers at Amber. "Leave us."

Amber instantly bowed and hurriedly left, not wishing to do anything to anger the bold Amaryllis.

"Mother," Aster said after Amber closed the door behind her.

Amaryllis stood up and turned around. "Did you interrogate the Red Phoenix boy?"

Aster nodded. "Yes."

There was a moment of tense silence. Aster's green eyes wandered around the room to look anywhere but his mother.

"Well?" Amaryllis finally asked.

"His name is Devin Hilton. He's fourteen years old. He was trying to sneak into the castle because he wanted to steal weapons from the armory," Aster replied.

"And the Red Phoenix leader?" Amaryllis prompted.

Aster looked at his mother, trying to push away the thoughts of what had happened in the dungeons. "The leader's name is Reese Henessey."

"Henessey?"

Aster nodded. "Must be a relative of Raymond Henessey, Mother."

Amaryllis smiled, but it looked almost sly. "Did you get the location of the hideout as well?"

Aster gulped, but it was so small that Amaryllis didn't hear it. Aster then shook his head. "He wouldn't tell me."

Amaryllis pressed her lips together, furrowing her eyebrows. "Didn't you use your magic on him?" When Aster didn't answer her, she asked, "Why not?"

"He said that he wasn't going to jeopardize his family. It was clearly obvious that he wouldn't betray his family even if I used my magic, so I didn't waste my time." That was part of the reason. Back in the dungeons, when Devin stated his resolve, Aster knew that if their positions were switched, Aster wouldn't give out the location either if it meant it would endanger his family.

Amaryllis frowned and groaned in frustration. "This was our chance to get a lot of information, Aster." She turned and looked at Aster in what looked like a mixture of discipline and concern for his well being. "You can't be weak, Aster. Sometimes you must do whatever it takes to get what you want." Aster darted his eyes to the ground, his face not revealing much of his thoughts. Amaryllis finally sighed. "No matter. I'll take care of it."

"Yes, Mother," Aster bowed his head.

Amaryllis started to walk towards the door, grabbing a parchment from her dresser. "I need to get these new laws to the lower town patrol. I'll see you at dinner."

Aster nodded as Amaryllis opened the door for him. He left just as hurriedly as Amber did, not wanting to anger his mother.

That wasn't so bad... it could have been worse, Aster thought to himself.

--

The following week, Amaryllis rallied the citizens together. She made the usual bold speech about the Red Phoenixes and how they are a threat to the kingdom.

She then clapped her hands, allowing two guards to drag Devin onto a scaffold. The guards tied him to the pole for all to see. He still had some bruise marks from his time in the dungeons.

"This boy tried to sneak into the castle last week!" Amaryllis shouted, pointing a sharp finger at Devin. "He is a Red Phoenix, just like Raymond Henessey!"