Chapter Ten - Intense Battles

As I waited for my match against Jay, I decided to fix myself up. My hair was beginning to curl up, my makeup was messy and I needed to tend to my Pokémon. I gave Oshawott a small Poké Puff and gave Eevee a small groom.

"There you go, Eevee," I said. I had finished grooming her and slid my hand along her fur. Her fur felt so soft and smooth. It was much better than before. "Do you feel better now?"

"Eevee!" She nodded her head in excitement and curled up on my lap.

"Be ready for your match, Eevee. We can't lose. Got it?" She brushed her tail against me. We were ready.

Eevee and I walked down the hallway and into the waiting room. Jay was there, his eyes glued to the screen as two Pokémon were shown colliding with each other.

Olivia's match was first. She was going up against a newbie, like me. Except this guy had no chance of beating Olivia unless he KO'd her Purrloin, another Pokémon native to Unova.

The screen suddenly flashed and a timer reappeared on the screen. "Time's up!" A voice said. Before, the screen displayed five minutes, except now it displayed three zeroes. The screen flashed again and showed Olivia and her rival's profile pictures next to an induvial circle. Olivia's circle was almost full with barely any points subtracted from it, while her rival's was almost empty.

"The Coordinator moving on to the semi-finals is ..." Caroline took a short and unneeded pause. Really? "Olivia!" The screen flashed once more, showing only Olivia and her circle.

The door of the waiting room opened and the man from before appeared. "Kitty and Jay, you're up next. If you could just follow me, please." I stood up from my chair and returned Eevee to her Poké Ball.

The man took Jay to one side of the arena, where he was told to wait. Before we left, Jay and I shook hands and wished each other good luck. I smiled and nodded, admiring his respect for me.

As we arrived at the other curtain, I remembered the Ball Capsule I was holding. I thought it was Oshawott's Poké Ball, but I left that with Imogen so Oshawott could watch the performance. I place Eevee's Poké Ball inside the Capsule and then waited for my name to be announced.

"Next are two of the newest Coordinators in the Unova region. First up, on one side we have Kitty, who has come from Nuvema Town." The curtain was pulled back and I stepped out onto the field. I could feel my head sweating from anxiety. Focus ... A voice inside my head said.

"And facing Kitty will be Jay, who has come all the way from Mistralton City!" Jay walked out onto the field once his curtain was pulled back and our eyes met. I could feel the competitive vibe already. He wasn't going to go easy on me.

"And ... BEGIN!"

We threw our Poké Balls up into the air. "Eevee, time to shine!" I exclaimed, while Jay said something else. Eevee landed on the ground with a ready stance. The crowd awed at Eevee, and the judges were surprised. An Eevee was rare in Unova, so seeing it must have been a sight for them. I looked ahead of me and spotted Jay's Pokémon: Joltik.

Joltik was barely visible, being one of the smallest Pokémon to ever have existed. I knew this would be trouble, as I could have trouble spotting Joltik. I have to keep focused.

"Eevee, let's start this off with Swift!" I knew what I was doing, as Swift was an attack that never missed.

"Eevee!" She cried. Stars began to appear around her, before they shot towards Joltik.

"Joltik, use String Shot at the stars before they can hit you!" A sticky web came flying out of Joltik's mouth and wrapped itself around the stars. They all began to slow down. "Now swing them back at Eevee!"