Chapter Four - Clean Sweep

– Ryan's POV

"Tepig, finish it off with Ember!" I commanded, raising my arm and pointing at the Mienfoo on the opposite side of the field.

"Tepig!" He followed my orders and began blowing flames out of his nose. It directly hit the Mienfoo and made the Pokémon fall back. There was a loud thud on the ground as Mienfoo fell and the judge and gym leader – Tie – looked at it in suspense.

With no reaction from Mienfoo, the judge said, "Mienfoo is unable to battle; Tepig is the winner. Which means the victor is Ryan, the challenger!" I punched the air before running towards Tepig.

"Tepig, we won! We beat Tie, which means we get our first gym badge!" Tepig began cheering with me as I picked him up and clutched him in my arms. "Thank you so much, Tepig!"

I heard footsteps and diverted my attention away from Tepig and towards Tie. He had his hand clutched and his eyes were focused on the ground. "Here's the Pain Badge. You earned it." Tie looked at me and smiled. "You have some potential, Ryan," he added.

"Thank you," I said. He gave me the badge; it was a red fist with small yellow sparks around it. I walked over to my bag and pulled out my gym badge case, placing the Pain Badge in its slot. Seven more to go ... I thought. "Tepig, return," I said, holding his Poké Ball in front of him. A laser formed around Tepig and now he was safe and sound in his Poké Ball.

I left the gym and looked around. It was getting pretty dark, so I decided to head over to the Pokémon Center. I've been pushing myself all day and I was really tired. I just had to get away from Imogen, I didn't want her prying me.

I arrived at the Pokémon Center after a short walk. I walked inside and went up to the front desk. Nurse Joy was operating the front desk like her relative was back in Accumula Town.

"Hi Nurse Joy." I greeted her with a smile and she smiled back.

"Hello, Ryan. May I help you?"

"Can you please heal my Pokémon? Also, are there any rooms available tonight?"

"I can heal your Pokémon," she answered. I gave her my Pokémon and thanked her. "I will have to check the rooms now." She began typing on the computer and scanning through lists. While she searched through the rooms, she asked me, "How did your gym battle go with Tie today?"

"I won," I told her. I couldn't help but smile.

"That's great news. We have three rooms available tonight. Room seventeen, room twenty-three and room thirty."

"I'll take room seventeen," I answered.

"OK. Have a nice stay and call me if you need anything." Nurse Joy handed me the key and I started walking to my room. I arrived at my room, unlocked the door, went inside and immediately went to bed. I didn't even bother to have dinner but it didn't matter because I wasn't even that hungry.

*

I woke up with pains in my legs. I knew I had pushed myself way too far yesterday, but I had come along way. I had made a ten-hour trip a seven-hour trip. I mostly ran just to get way ahead of Imogen but I did walk as well.

I spent most of the morning in bed, too tired to move. I tried walking to the small kitchen, but my legs were hurting like hell! Because I could barely move, I decided to scan through the entries on my Pokédex for fun. I found some interesting Pokémon entries and I looked at the Pokémon that I had encountered.

After a while, I got a bit bored of going through the Pokédex so I decided to bring out my Pokémon. I grabbed Tepig's and Pidove's Poké Ball and opened them up. They both appeared in front of me and sat down.