Chapter Six - The Battle

Ryan and I walked down the sidewalk, the darkness of the night surrounding us. There weren't many lighted up buildings at this time of night, and there were barely any streetlights. Still, Ryan and I could see perfectly.

"Great job on that battle," Ryan complimented, a smiling forming on his face. "Snivy really was amazing," he added, looking up at the stars.

"I couldn't have done it without her," I admitted. I wondered what would have happened if I had chosen Oshawott – or even Tepig. My battle could have been completely different with a different outcome. What if Kitty had never given me Swablu too?

"So what's next for you?" Ryan asked me. Did he even have to ask?

"I'm going to the next gym, of course," I said with a 'duh' expression. "What else would I do?"

"I don't know ..." he scratched the back of his head awkwardly. "So ... I was thinking ... do you want to travel together?" I froze in my tracks, stunned by the question. First, Ryan leaves me for some reason, and once I catch up to him he wants to travel with me.

I thought about it, thinking of all the ups and downs to the question. I wouldn't be alone, I wouldn't be scared to sleep outside, and I would have someone to train with. I smiled and nodded my head, answering his question. "I'll travel with you," I told him. "But no more running off."

"Deal."

"Also, if I'm talking to my friends or parents you can't be around. Especially if I'm talking to my dad." He gave me a confused look and before he could ask why, I opened my mouth and began to explain, "My mum has a very overactive imagination. She'll think we're ... dating. And my Dad is overprotective and intimidating, which is most of the reason why I don't have a boyfriend and why Mum gets excited if I get a boyfriend. My friend Kitty is a bit of a gossiper, so she'll think quite a bit too. So if they're talking to me on the phone, you can't be talking or making any loud noises. Got it?"

Ryan looked at me as if I had just spoken in Gibberish, and I probably did. He blinked several times, trying to comprehend at what I had just said. Finally, he clicked his tongue and answered with, "Got it." We continued walking after that, making jokes if we found something funny or just wanted to push away the awkward silence. Soon, we had reached the Pokémon Center.

"Goodnight, Ryan," I yawned, rubbing my eyes. He returned with, "Goodnight, Imogen," before he left to go to his room.

I walked inside my room, closed the door behind me and retrieved my Pokémon from my bag. I opened their Poké Balls and lights flashed before they appeared. They were all extremely tired, even Lillipup.

"Goodnight guys," I said, giving them each some Pokémon food. They ate it slowly before they fell asleep in a bundle on the floor. I awed at them, liking how cute they were and how they loved each other.

I went to my bedroom, changed into my pyjamas, and sank beneath the covers of my bed. My eyelids began to feel heavy, as drowsiness took over and my body relaxed into the bed. Soon, I fell asleep.

***

I woke up pretty early that next morning, earlier than I usually would when it was the weekend back at home. I sat up in bed and grabbed my phone off the nightstand. I disabled my alarm, not wanting to deal with the loud blaring noises once the clock had struck eight. Once I did that, I read through some news articles online, like I usually would when I was bored or just wanted to know what was going on in the world.

According to Audinews (a mix between the words Audino – the Pokémon – and news), a new Elite Member had taken over the position of the Elite Member Carly. All I knew about Carly was that she specialised in Water type Pokémon, and she had been beaten by a woman name Peri, who trains Fairy type Pokémon. Peri was now the new Elite Member, meaning Carly was no longer going to be an Elite Member, meaning she had to move on, or win her position back.