Chapter 33: Surprise

*Kallista*

The next six weeks went by. Caethes and I barely saw each other. Caethes had to help the slaves distribute food in the evenings and make breakfast for the next morning. While I had to attend domina. By the time she got in bed I would already be fast asleep. She didn't want to wake me because I had to wake up really early to help distribute breakfast and help make dinner. And I didn't want to wake her in the morning because she needed her sleep and she went to bed late. She attended domina in the morning. Every spare moment we had in the afternoon we had to help make supper. So actually the only time we saw each other was in the afternoon while helping domina with her bath or while chopping vegetables.

I woke up early and went to the cooking tent. I did my rounds, giving soldiers their breakfast. They were leaving ... finally. I went back to domina's tent. Caethes was helping domina. I wanted to go to them, but master came in and stopped me.

"I want you to go help the other slaves clean up." I looked at Caethes. She looked back and smiled. I turned back to master.

"Yes, master", I said and went outside.

It was almost dark when I got back. Caethes was sitting on her bed, waiting for me. We ran into each other's arms and kissed. She took my hand.

"I have a surprise for you", she said.

"What is it?" I asked.

"If I told you it wouldn't be a surprise", she just said. We walked to our place in the river.

"Go to the middle of the river and close your eyes", she said, while making sure nobody followed us. I took of my dress and did what she said.

"Don't open them!" I heard her say from the side.

"No, I promise!" I replied. I heard her go in the river. She took my hands and put them on her hips. She moved them to her lower abdomen. I gasped and opened my eyes. She already had a baby bump.

"Say hello to our baby", she said smiling. Ismiled. Tears of happiness rolled from my face.