Chapter 8: Insult

*Caethes*

"Easy, don't choke!" I said smiling. She looked at me and then continued eating, slower this time. I started eating.

"So... do you have a husband?" I asked to start a conversation.

"No, I have nobody", she answered.

"Have you loved someone?" I continued.

"No, how about you? Have you ever loved a man?" she asked. I decided to tell her the truth.

"I have loved ... but not a man." She looked at me with surprise ... and recognition. Has she loved a woman?

"What happened to her? Where is she?" she asked.

"She got crucified in front of all the slaves. She tried to run away. She was the example for what would happen if a slave would try to run away." I felt sad. The person who once filled my life with love and happiness now made me sad by just thinking of her. A tear rolled from my cheek. Kallista stood up and sat beside me. She hugged me.

"I'm sorry", she whispered. The sadness disappeared when I felt the warmth of her skin. We hugged each other for a while.

"Come, we have to bring the plates back before the others go away with the dishes", I said while standing up. They were already cleaning up the table when we came in. Soft snores came from domina's bed. The slaves left. Another slave came in with a basket full of cleaned clothes. She gave them to me and left as well. I sat on the floor and started folding them. Kallista sat beside me and helped.

"How is your dress by the way? I forgot to ask", I said.

"It's ok ... but..."

"But?"

"Does it have to be so low-cut? I mean you can almost see my bellybutton and both my sides are fully exposed", she said.

"Master likes exposed skin. Especially from that region", I said while looking at her chest.

"He's a filthy pervert", she said. I was shocked by the words.

"Kallista, do not say such things! If he hears you!" I said.

"Yeah, Kallista. If he hears you", a voice said behind us. My heart sank.

We both turned around. Master was standing at the entrance. Arms crossed. He was pissed ... very pissed. We both stood up.

"Caethes, stand over there", he said while pointing to the side of the tent. I wanted to say something.

"DO NOT SAY ANYTHING, SLAVE!" he screamed. I looked at the ground and walked to the side of the tent.

"Why all the noise?" I heard a sleepy domina ask. When she saw master, she stood up from the bed.

"Is there a problem?" she asked.

"A problem?" master said mad, "Kallista, why don't you repeat what you just said?" She didn't say anything. She just looked at the ground. He slapped her hard. She fell on the ground.

"Caethes, what did she say?" he asked me. I didn't say anything.

"Caethes!" he said threatening.

"She said master is a filthy pervert", I responded, afraid he would punish me too.

The punishment for dropping something or disobeying is nothing compared to the punishment a slave gets when he or she insults his or her master.

Domina sighted. She knew Kallista would be punished, no matter what she said. Master took Kallista by her hair and dragged her out of the tent. Tears formed in the corners of my eyes.

"Caethes, my back hurts", domina said while walking back to her bed.

"Yes, domina", I walked towards her and started massaging her back.