As we neared the hospital, I started to get that sharp pain in my stomach again. I sucked in a breath as it got more intense. It hurt a little worse than the last one I experienced.

“Rose, you okay?” Zayn looked at me, and then back to the road in front of him. The turn in for the hospital was right ahead.

I shook my head. “I don’t know. It feels like I’m getting cramps though.” I replied, rubbing my stomach for some relief.

Zayn turned in to the parking lot, finding the closest spot he could so I wouldn’t have to walk far. “They might be contractions. Dr. Mitchell told me that bleeding could be because of early labor, or a miscarriage, or it’s just something that happens. Whatever it is they will figure it out, and they will make sure that you and the baby are safe.” He parked the car and looked at me, taking one of my small hands in his two larger ones. “I’m here though. Whatever happens, I promise not to leave you. We’ll get through this.”

I nodded my head. The pain slowly faded, and  felt good enough to get out of the car. Zayn took my bag, and wrapped an arm around my waist to help me walk into the hospital.

When we walked into the building, the white tiled floors and the pictures and fake flower arrangements, seemed anything but inviting. Ending up at the hospital after this already bad day wasn’t how I expected any of this going. The fact that I felt like I was in some sort of institution only made things worse. Zayn led me to the check in counter, stepped in front of the older woman sitting behind the computer.

“Hello. How can I help you today?” The woman asked us.

Zayn set the bag down on the floor, and leaned an elbow on the counter. He cleared his throat before speaking. I think he was uncomfortable saying what was going on. “My girlfriend is thirty weeks pregnant. She, uh, she….”

“I’m bleeding. We just need to make sure everything is okay with our daughter.” I cut him off. Over the last thirty weeks I learned that you really can’t be embarrassed when it comes to telling the doctors what is going on. They needed to know everything, and I had to be able to tell them.

The woman nodded. “Okay. Who is your physician?”

“Dr. Steven Mitchell.” I replied.

“Ah. Yes, he came in a few minutes ago saying he was on here to see one of his patients. You two can just go up to the labor and delivery wing, and they will direct you from there.” The woman smiled at us as Zayn and I slowly walked away.

My nerves were starting to get to me. Zayn and I made our way to the elevators, and then to the proper floor.

When we walked out of the elevator, the aura of the hospital changed. The walls were now painted light pastel colors. There were little rattles, and teddy bear murals on the walls as well. It all seemed to be more calming. That was until another cramp hit me. I stopped in the middle of the corridor and gripped onto Zayn’s free hand.

“Another cramp?” He asked. All I could do was nod as I tried to breathe through the pain.

It wasn’t long before it was gone, and we hurried down to the main nurses station.

A red headed nurse in purple scrubs was standing looking at a chart or something.

“Excuse us.” Zayn said politely.

“Yes?” The nurse asked us. She put the chart down, and faced us.

“The lady downstairs sent us up here. She said Dr. Mitchell was here. We think something might be wrong with our baby.” Zayn explained.

The nurse looked back down at the chart she had previously been looking at. “Rosemary Collins?”

“Yeah.” I replied.