Chapter Five

Unless the Lord builds a city, the builders Labor in vain

Standing on a stool, she stretched her arm as far as she could venture to try but the paint brush just wouldn't go all the way to the ceiling. She always knew she was short but today, she felt even shorter.

She placed her hands on her hips and let out a frustrated breath. Steadying herself on the high stool she stood on, she wiped her forehead and glanced around; she had not just made a mess of the walls, making it look like a canvas for pre school children, she had left an even bigger mess on the wooden floor. She hadn't even thought to cover the floor to protect it from the paint. Foolishness!

Tossing aside the paint brush, she climbed down the stool and stared at the pile of mess she had left in her wake on the floor. Just then, the door bell rang. Who could be at the door? Of course it had to be Jean, probably here to invite her over for dinner as usual but she wasn't in the mood for anything. Least of all, sitting on a table watching Jean and her husband giggling with joy, shoving in her face what she had foolishly walked away from. She shook her head and maintained her position. If she ignored Jean long enough, she would go away.

The bell rang again. She rolled her eyes. How long would she have to stand here in order for Jean to leave, thinking she wasn't home?

“Hello?” She frowned at the unfamiliar male voice that called through the door. It wasn't Jean, who could it be?

Curiosity won the battle as she made her way to the front door and pulled it open. A man, probably in his late twenties, brown hair, blue eyes, handsome in his own right, towered over her. She stared at him, confused.

“Hi, I'm Andrew” He smiled, deep dimples forming on both sides of his cheeks, and extended his hand to her for a handshake.

“I'm sorry but what can I do for you?” She ignored his extended hand. After a few seconds, he withdrew his hand.

“Jean sent me. She said you might be needing some help painting your house” He explained.

Jean, of course. “I'm sorry, my hand is a mess but please, come in” She shifted slightly so he could make his way past her before shutting the door. “I'm so ashamed of how much of a mess I have made” She turned around to find him smiling at her, deep dimples on either side of his cheeks. She swallowed, his smile reminding her of Remi. 

“I won't judge you” He smiled. “We can sit and you can tell me what you have in mind for this place”

“Oh, I don't know” She made her way to the kitchen, the only presentable place in the house. She took a seat on one of the stool and offered one to him. He took it. “I just want to change things but I don't know what I want to change” She explained, feeling stupid.

He nodded his head, maintaining eye contact with her. She averted her gaze, feeling weird.

“Any colour in mind?” He asked, glancing around.

“White feels empty” She shook her head. “But I don't have a specific colour in mind”

He observed her for a while. She didn't like the way he seemed to be trying to analyse her mental state. Perhaps she was acting crazy but who was he to judge her. 

“Other than changing the paints around here, is there anything else you would like done?”

“No” She shook her head. “I don't think so. The house is in perfect shape”

“Alright then” He nodded. “I can bring some paint samples for you to look at and decide on what you want”

“That sounds nice.” She smiled, feeling oddly relieved that he didn't tell her to her face that she was crazy. “How much would I have to pay you for your services?”

He smiled once more, his dimples almost taking her breath away. What was wrong with her? She rubbed her forehead.

“Nothing, I do this for the Lord”

She frowned. “I'm not 'the Lord' and I would like to pay you. Frankly, I hate cheap and free things” Especially free things from your God. I'm not a charity case and I definitely do not need his pity, it's too late for that now. She fought against angry tears.

“You misunderstand me. Jean mentioned the fact that a neighbour needed help with her house and asked if I could do this as a favour to her. It is pretty hard to turn Jean down, she's one of my favourite girls. Plus, I see this as a service to God” He explained, noticing the look of anger on her face.

“How much would you ordinarily charge?” She ignored his explanation.

“I don't do this professionally” He confessed. “I'm a Pastor”

Sisi placed her hand on her forehead and released a frustrated breath. “I can handle this on my own then. Please leave” She rose up and walked to the front door. Pulling it open, she stood by the door.

He rose up and made his way to where she stood. “If you change your mind, I have left my card with my number on it on the table, call me. I might not do this professionally but it's a gift the Lord has given to me and I don't charge people for it. I'm sorry you find this revelation annoying. By the way, you might have done a lousy job painting the walls of your home but you did a pretty good job painting your face” He smiled and walked out the door. She gasped and unconsciously touched her face.

Slamming the door shut, she made a mental note not to let any more christians in her house, especially that one!