Chapter One

Be strong and courageous, do not be discouraged for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.

To and fro they went, everybody seemed to be in a hurry. Running to, running from. Sisi was running away from her own fears. She was running away from life and the pain it brought her way. She was running away from the love of her life. Tears filled her eyes as she settled into a taxi and tried to focus her mind on the journey ahead. The flight from Lagos to the city of Johannesburg had been an emotionally draining journey.

She rubbed her forehead as an image of Jesse, her eyes filled with tears, popped into her head. Her eyes burned with unshed tears and her head felt like it was going to explode due to the headache she was having.

“Where are you headed?” The taxi man, a slim, black, young man in his thirties with one missing front tooth, asked. He glanced at her through the rear view mirror.

She reached for her purse and pulled out a sheet of paper containing the address the Lawyer had given to her and handed it to him. She had no idea where she was going, all she knew was, she had purchased a house somewhere in the city through Chief's Lawyer. She sighed at the thought of Chief. He might have been dead but the scars he left on her were still very much alive. His constant, brutal, physical and mental abuse had taken much more than her sanity, it had taken away her only chance to be with the man she loved. She had to leave Lagos, she just had to. She could no longer pretend to be normal, to be complete, to be happy. She was broken, unhappy and maybe even dead.

She glanced out of the window at the city. This would be her new home. She could try to fix her life or what was left of it, here. Besides, she had all the money she needed. She had much more than she needed; Chief had willed his assets to her. Every thing, right down to the last billion. Apparently, Chief was worth more than she had even imagined. His source of money, she had no idea. At first, she had been angry at the information that he left his property to her. She had even tried to leave the Lawyer's office that morning.

“Even in death, Chief mocks me. I do not need his money!” She hissed, pounding her fist on the table. She rose up and made to leave but the Lawyer was quick; he grabbed her arm, stopping her. She stared at his fingers encircling her arm and scowled.

“Sisi, I understand your anger” He said and she laughed. Nobody understood her anger, they had no idea. She tried pulling away from his grip but he held on firmly. “Please listen. You are legally in charge of all that he owns. Chief has no other family”

“Then burn the money!” She yelled. “I want nothing to do with that man or his bloody money. Now, let go of my hand”

“Listen” He tightened his grip. “Chief ruined your life, he should at least help rebuild it. Take the money, Sisi. With it, you can give your life a little structure. You can chase a childhood dream, go back to school, do whatever you want”

She considered his words for a few minutes. He was right; Chief had destroyed her life, it was only fair that he rebuilt it. Of course, no amount of money would be able to pay for all the years she had lost and would never be able to recover but she needed to get away from Lagos and she needed money to do so. 

“We are here” The taxi man announced. She reached for her purse and pulled out some Rands to pay before disembarking from the vehicle.

She climbed out of the taxi and came face to face with a massive story building and frowned. It didn't look this big in the picture the Lawyer had shown to her. What was she going to do with this much space? She glanced around, almost certain she was in the wrong neighborhood. She pulled out the paper in her purse and stared at the address once more to make sure it corresponded with the house, it did.