Danger Around the Corner

Start from the beginning

Rich didn't urge her to continue. He didn't like hearing her talk about another guy like that. "He's just this guy I've had a crush on for a few months. A few months! Not even years or something. I just ... I thought he was flirting back."

It certainly looked that way, Rich snarled.

"But he has a girlfriend," Jasmine sighed. "I didn't even know he knew Lexi. She lives in Gaitland, for gods sake. Is it long distance? Oh, I don't care anymore. I'm over him." She wiped away any remaining tears.

Rich looked at her, surprised. "You're okay already?"

"Yeah, I guess I just needed to talk about it." She turned to Rich and sent him a bright smile. "Thanks for lending me your ear. I probably would have cried all night if I hadn't said that all out loud."

"Glad I could be of service."

"What's your name?"

Rich was about to give it, when he heard a low growl. They were coming up to a darkened alley, but before they could step pass, three lycan men blocked their path. Rich didn't realize when he slid himself before Jasmine. He recognized them. They were men from his father's pack, low life lycans who loved to cause trouble whenever they could.

"Well, if it isn't little Richie," the first said. He was naturally hairy, shaggy sideburns adorning his face. The other two had little facial hair but was dirty, with sinister eyes. They eyed him like he was a piece of delicious meat.

"What are you doing hanging around here, Felin?" Rich asked.

"Didn't think I needed to report to the little Young about where I go and what I do. You ain't your father, little boy." Felin laughed with his friends.

Rich narrowed his eyes. Behind him, Jasmine was silent. "Let us pass."

"Not before I see what you've been up to, little Richie," Felin taunted. He cocked his head to the side. "We have to look out for the pups now. Can't have them growing up to be bad people."

"Felin..." Rich swallowed the cool retort. He knew it would rile them up even more. "I don't have time for this."

"What's that you got there?" Felin's gold eyes shifted to Jasmine. Jasmine did nothing but stare at him as his eyes ran her up and down. "That your girlfriend, little Richie? How comes I've never seen her before? She's human." That seemed to please Felin and his cronies.

Rich reached out, grabbed Jasmine's hand and pulled her further behind him. "She's none of your business."

"The hell she is," Felin cackled. He came closer and so did the other two. His hand shot out and grabbed Jasmine's, pulling her forward before Rich could react.

A loud slap rang through the air. Everyone froze, all eyes on Jasmine who had her hand raised. She brought it back, as if preparing to slap Fellin again if she had to. Her eyes blazed, but from the way she bit her lip, Rich could tell she was scared.

Fellin seemed to turn in slow motion. His eyes were stunned, staring down at her. Then anger filled them. Rich didn't wait to find out how Felin would act on it. He grabbed Jasmine's hand, shouting "Run!"

They took off. Their feet slapped the concrete, their breaths coming out in pants. It wasn't long before they could both hear the sounds of Felin and the other two coming after them. Rich led her down another street. As soon as he did, he knew it was a bad idea. The street was lonelier. He could only hear the faint buzz of the streetlights.

Jasmine fell beside him. He spun around, prepared to help before two bodies came barreling into him. Felin's henchmen pinned him to the ground. He watched, helpless, as Jasmine was hauled to her feet by Felin.

"Let go of me!" she screeched.

Felin growled at her. Her eyes widened and Rich felt his blood boil. "Felin, what the hell are you doing? Father will punish you for this!"

"For what?" Felin barked back. "The rules say we mustn't attack humans. Well, she attacked me first! This is self defense."

"Go to hell!" Jasmine screamed.

Rich struggled against his hold. He knew he was strong but he wasn't stronger than two fully grown lycans. As far as everyone else was concerned, he was still a pup.

Felin grabbed Jasmine's jaw. Rich was just about to shout for him to stop, but then Felin doubled over. Jasmine had kicked him where the sun didn't shine. He groaned, clutching his parts.

She tried hurrying over to Rich but Felin's hand grabbed her ankle. She tripped and went down. The kick to his nether regions wasn't enough to keep him down and he crawled over her. Rich was thrashing by now, shouting at them to stop and that he'd make sure they regretted this. No one was listening to him.

Jasmine fought just as hard. She kicked and screamed, her fists flying everywhere. Felin was growling in rage. He was like a mad man, eyes glowering, turning dark gold. He kept growling, kept baring his teeth, but Jasmine was seeing none of it. Rich saw a tear glint in the light as it slid down the side of her face. Her eyes were squeezed shut.

"Hold still!" Felin barked. Suddenly, his claws shot out. Rich felt his heart plummet.

"Felin, no!" he roared. Felin wasn't listening. He still struggled with Jasmine and Rich saw his nails rake her chest. The necklace around her neck went flying,

As soon as that happened. Felin seemed to get crazier. He was drooling now, foam appearing at the side of his mouth. His eyes no longer held any shred of humanity. He raised his hands straight into the air, ready to send them sinking into her flesh, when Jasmine hit him square in the chest. He went flying.

Rich didn't get any time to react and neither did she. She scrambled to her feet, gaping, but then suddenly, the weight holding him down grew lighter. One of Felin's men charged after her, foaming like a rabid dog. He slashed his claws at her. Jasmine screamed in fear, shoving her hands out. He went flying right over Rich's head and crashed into someone's gate.

Jasmine was shaking. Her eyes darted back and forth between the two down lycans. Rich sprang from the ground, flipping the other guy onto his back. The guy jumped to his feet just as fast but his eyes weren't on Rich. He darted past him, going straight for Jasmine. She ducked back in fright, pushing away the hand that slashed out at her. When she touched him, he skidded across the graveled road.

Rich stared at her. Something was coming over him. It was nothing like the click he felt in class. It wasn't like the meanness he felt when he watched the guy laugh with her either. This was a darker feeling. He felt out of control. He stared at her and all he could think was how sated he would be if he bathed his hands in her blood. He backed away from her, torn. The sudden bloodthirstiness was beginning to override his every sense.

"You have to go," he pushed out. He tried looking away, to see if that would help. It didn't. He could smell her. Strawberries, sweat and fear.

"W-what?" she croaked. Rich swallowed. He closed his eyes, trying to will away the murderous thoughts.

"You have to go," he repeated louder. "I don't know what's happening but, I don't think I can control myself much longer. I might hurt you. Leave!" When she hesitated, he bared his teeth at her and shouted, "Now!"

Jasmine jumped. Even then she lingered, but seconds later, she was tearing away.