Introduction

Dear Reader,

My intention in producing this glossary, a kind of dictionary , if you will, is to introduce precise but limited definitions of words I consider important and particularly useful at conveying simply the concepts and principles embodied in libertarian philosophy. These definitions may coincide or parallel common usage but more likely will not. That is because they are defined as I use them, with the fervent expectation that you may chose to adopt them as your own. Nevertheless, they will serve well if accepted by the arguing parties. Proposing a word meaning for the utility of argumentation is not my exclusive province. You, or anyone may do likewise, if each party will  agree to the specified meaning and then use it consistently within and throughout the context of a given argument.

The use of semantic precision is imperative for successful argumentation. Critical thinking requires an unambiguous understanding of the words used by others and those we ourselves use to express our ideas. Each word used must express by its use, an idea which excludes all other ideas. Propositions not clearly defined beyond common usage only lead to quarreling rather than logical conclusions. This is of particular importance in matters which may have an emotional or subjective component, as indeed they have with efforts to reconcile, or perhaps better stated, justify philosophical or ethical suppositions with universal principles. Words such as love, faith, art and beauty come immediately to mind. "Kill" as defined herein means to extinguish life, not to, for example, switch off an engine.

The very word "Libertarian" for example, is already a substitute for the word "liberal," which once had the meaning we now attach to libertarian. This is a word, which over time has been usurped by socialist philosophers. One, which I suggest, now conveys a meaning quite different, perhaps even opposite, from its original libertarian meaning. This is a typical socialist maneuver now at its zenith in devolving the language through the notion of "politically correct" usage.

If you have correctly identified my bias, know too, that you have also identified my fervent desire to engender in you the same love of liberty I myself hold so dear. This notion of mine may at first seem arrogant. Still, I bid you, for a short while, to relax, keep an open mind and know that I am coming to you in good heart and with an offer of intellectual friendship.

Thank you for including this humble effort in your intellectual explorations.