Chapter 18: The Final Chapter

~2 Years Later...~

I try not to breathe the air much, covering my mouth with my hand when I need to. The stench is almost unbearable but J acts as if he can't smell a thing. After the last few years with him and spending almost all of our time in a life of crime, and doing some other things, he has finally managed to convince me to do it. It'll definitely help me with our next big plan, robbing Batman blind.

I stand on the edge of the platform, at least five stories high. The Joker circles around me with one hand resting behind his back and the other on his chin. He has a sort of half smile on his face, the other half covered with worry. He stops in front of me and slowly rubs his hands together.

"Would you... die for me?" he asks in his gravelly voice. I close my eyes and take a deep breath in, almost choking on the fumes.

"Yes..." I mutter shakily. He shakes his head and continues to circle me. I follow him with my eyes.

"No, no, no... that's too easy..." he says again stopping in front of me. He puts his hand to my chin and rests his thumb on my lip playfully. "Would you live for me?" he challenges. After all we have been through together, the kidnapping, the falling in love, the endless crimes, how could I say no? At this point, I was just about as crazy as he was.

"Yes," I say once again, more confident this time. He smiles and graciously steps back, gesturing behind me to the pool of acidic chemicals below. I look over my shoulder into the thick, bubbling pools. What have I got to lose?

I step back, letting my heels dangle off the edge only the slightest. I put my arms out gracefully and make direct eye contact with him. He gives me one of his famous smirks and I can't help but smile faintly back. I close my eyes and shift my body weight, letting myself fall.

In the moments before delving into the acid I do not think of my past life, no, my past life is but a distant memory to me. My old friends, my family, they mean nothing to me. That little apartment building I used to live in is nothing compared to the mansion I live in now. I do not miss my old life, I am completely in love with my new one. And I am completely in love with The Joker.

My body hits the acid and I feel my skin burning, I don't dare open my eyes. I try to swim upward but the liquid is so thick that it starts to pull me down. I struggle impatiently, knowing J will come to save me. Right on cue, I feel the goo shift as he falls in. He has abandoned his suit jacket, and all that remains are his red, button up shirt and his typical, black dress pants. He grabs a hold of my waist, easily pulling me to the surface. As I break the surface tension of the chemical mess I take my first deep breath in as a new me. I feel different but almost completely the same. Still not completely sane.

I stare into his eyes and he stares into mine, the perfect picture of longing and lust. He finally leans in and we kiss passionately, our clothes seeming to burn into our skin and melt off of our bodies. We barely notice. He runs his hands through my newly bleach-white hair and runs them over my pale skin. He lets out his famous laugh out into the building of ACE chemicals and looks back at me with desire.

"Honey, you have never looked so good," he says with a proud smirk. I grin at him and cling onto his shoulders. "How about one last wild ride?"

We jump off of the second story balcony, clinging onto each other and the bags of money in our hands. We land on the concrete below Wayne Enterprises confidently and book it down the street where we're parked, his goons following closely behind. As we run he glances over at me and we smile evilly together, once again embracing our life of crime.

He hops into the driver's seat and I into the passenger seat.

"Where to, good lookin'?" he asks me, wrapping an arm around my shoulders. I plush through my pale skin and heavy makeup.

"Home, puddin, we've got things to celebrate." I say grinning. He grins back at me and stomps on the gas, quickly going over the speed limit. We speed along the highways, laughing and practically streaming money out of every window. "So, J, I have some big news." I say nervously. He looks over at me with a face of concern.

"What is it, babe?" he asks sincerely.

"Well, I'm-" the sound of Batman hitting the roof of the car cuts me off. J swerves the car angrily and he falls off and hits the ground with a thud. J speeds up even more and we start to lose him.

"What was that, sweetie?"

"Well, J, I'm-" once again he swerves to the side which throws me against the side of the car and I hit my head against the window. "Jesus, J..." I curse, rubbing my head.

"I'm sorry, we're almost home. Now what is this big news? You're worrying me now and you know how I worry. I don't like worrying, Sophie, I have a lot of things to do and-"

"J, I'm pregnant."

The car slows down and comes to a complete stop in the middle of the road. Car horns beep all around us but all he looks at is me.

"You're... you're pre... pregnant?" he asks, shocked. I bite my lip and nod slowly with a smile playing on my lips. He sits back and leans into his seat, staring at the roof of the car. He runs his hands through his green hair and smiles happily. "I'm gonna be a father,"

"Yea, J you are," I join in excitedly. He reaches over and hugs me carefully, almost afraid to injure the barely five week old fetus. He kisses me gently on the lips and holds me in front of him and takes me in.

"When did you find out?" he asks, exasperated.

"A few nights ago..." I trail off. His eyes widen.

"Does this mean...?"

"It might, potentially."

"But, it's never happened before. Ever. Are you sure we're ready for this?"

"Oh, hush, metahumans are born all the time. As long as we're all happy that's all that matters. Who knows, they might be completely psychotic or completely human. I'm not sure how the chemicals may have affected them, if they have at all."

"I guess we'll just have to wait and find out then."

"Yea, I guess we will."

Hey everyone! So this is the end of my story, I really super appreciate everyone who read and voted and commented! It means a whole lot to me :) now that this story is over I'm not sure if I'll work on something else, I've been thinking about starting a sequel about their child or something but I don't know how that would go, I'll have to give it some thought.

Thank you again!

-elkj13