Chapter 2: Take My Hand Through The Flame

I wake up late on the Sunday morning at around eleven thirty. The sun is bright and shining but it's a fairly windy day so it isn't too warm. I rub my eyes and take the Asprin I left for myself the night before, feeling a headache and a little bit nauseous from the alcohol. I roll out of bed and take a shower in my cheap bathroom, being cautious not to take too long as to avoid a cold surprise. I manage to wash my hair as well and decide to let it air dry because I'm too lazy to dry it myself. I get into my Sunday sweats and a regular t-shirt to ready myself for a lazy day. I decide to check my work schedule for this week and it looks like I'll only be working Tuesday to Friday. I work as a first grade teacher and I love the students I teach, they're all really sweet. I grab a green apple from my fruit bowl in the kitchen and fall back onto the blue, tattered couch. I watch some TV for a while until a breaking news broadcast interrupts.

          BREAKING NEWS. BREAKING NEWS. BREAKING NEWS. BREAKING NEWS.

THE INFAMOUS JOKER HAS BROKEN OUT OF HIS CELL AT ARKHAM ASYLUM.                                     HIS CELL WAS FOUND EMPTY TODAY AT AROUND 8:00AM. AUTHORITIES SAY                                         THEY DON'T KNOW HOW LONG IT COULD HAVE BEEN EMPTY, POSSIBLY A FEW                             DAYS ON END. THIS AN EMERGENCY WARNING TO THE PEOPLE OF GOTHAM,                                  YOU ARE ADVISED TO STAY INSIDE FOR AT LEAST 24 HOURS AND VENTURE                                     OUT AT YOUR OWN RISK. OUR HEROES WILL BE ON THE CASE AS SOON AS                                  POSSIBLE.

          END OF EMERGENCY BROADCAST.

     I shudder at the thought of one of Gotham's most psychotic and evil criminals roaming the streets. I have read articles about him and his antics and they're gruesome. I could only hope to steer clear of him. Luckily we have some of the most famous super heroes in America nearby and hopefully on the case.

     I decide to hit the grocery store to stock up with food in case this whole Joker case becomes even more dangerous. I live on the other side of the city compared to Arkham so I can afford to take the risk. I slip on some black high tops and grab my bag which is laying on the counter from last night. I take the elevator downstairs and ask Lenny the doorman to hail a cab for me. As I wait in the lobby for my cab, I see the strange man in the hoodie in the back of the room. I avoid eye contact with him but I hear his steps coming closer. I try to act nonchalantly and look around the dusty lobby and stare at a purple lamp, pretending it's the most interesting thing I've seen. I smell his awful cologne and feel him standing next to me. I shift my weight from one foot to another nervously. What does this guy want? Finally he speaks up.

     "Hey, uh, miss?" he says in a gruff voice. "You dropped this in the elevator earlier." He says handing me my purple wallet. My eyes widen as he hands it to me and I check that everything is still inside; ID, credit cards, cash. I look up at the man's scraggly face and let out a sigh of relief.

     "Thank you so much, mister, really, thank you," I say sincerely, putting it securely in my bag. I reach out to shake his hand but he hesitates a little, almost looking scared. The hesitation only lasts a moment and we shake hands firmly. Just as I am about to start small talk, Lenny calls out and tells me that my cab is ready. As I head out the door I turn around to thank the man one last time but he has disappeared. Confused, I climb into the cab and tell the driver the address, settling into the back seat. I notice that the cab driver also has a black hoodie pulled over his head, I assume this must be the style nowadays.

     The cab driver drops me off at the small grocery store on the corner of the street and I pay him as I hop out. I'm still dressed in my sweatpants and t-shirt but I'm a regular at this store so I'm sure they don't mind. I'm pretty friendly with most of the people who work here, one of them being one of my closest friends, Joshua. As I walk in I see him working one of the registers. I wave to him as I walk past and he gives me a head nod, flipping his sandy blonde hair out of his mud brown eyes.

     I grab an old, green basket from the front and begin my shopping. As I walk down the empty aisles, I grab bulk of the things I need just in case I need to camp out in my house for the next few days. I see another man in a black hoodie examining a bag of chips as I walk down the savoury aisle. I walk around him cautiously and to the next lane of food. I grab a few boxes of spaghetti noodles and stack them in my basket.

     "Funny seeing such a pretty rose here," says a familiar voice from behind me. I turn around and gasp as I come face to face with J. Even in jeans and a dull, loose t-shirt he looks particularly attractive.

     "Oh! Hi there, J. Just, um, stocking up, you know?" I say laughing nervously, tucking a stray piece of hair behind my ear. I look to the floor to hide my blush. He chuckles and slides his slender hand into his pocket. Today he looks a lot paler than I remember when I first met him last night. It was probably just the dim lighting at the party.

     "Oh I see, well, you have fun with that. I'm doing some stocking up myself." He says gesturing to the shopping basket on his arm. I shuffle my feet awkwardly, suddenly feeling self-conscious about my outfit choice. His foot starts tapping and he bites his lip. "So, what would it take to get a lovely girl like you to go out on a date with me?" he says with a smirk. My heart stops and my voice catches in my throat. I start to blush uncontrollably and avoid his gaze.

     "W-well, I-I mean I, well you c-could do that, b-but I, um, I'll have to check my, um, check my sche-"

     "Saturday night at seven, I'll meet you at Gilmore's.         I'll make the reservations." He says with a subtle wink. I smile while trying to hide my pink cheeks with my hair.

     "Um, yea that sounds, yea, that sounds doable." I say, trying my hardest not to stutter again. He grins cheekily. "Are you sure it'll be safe by then? You know, because of... the..."

     "Don't worry, the news report said it should only last a day or two. Otherwise I can protect you. I'll see you there then," he says walking towards the registers. He stops but doesn't turn back around. "You're really cute when you blush, just by the way," he says to me over his shoulder and continues walking. I have to keep myself from melting into a warm puddle. I smile madly all the way through the rest of my shopping. When I get to Joshua's check out he starts to get suspicious.

     "You're awfully happy for someone who's buying food to camp out in their house as safety from the Joker," he says casually. I roll my eyes at him with a smile.

     "Someone sounds a little jealous," I say teasing him. He puffs his hair out of his face, annoyed.

     "I'm not jealous." He says matter-of-factly while I laugh at him.

     "Well then, I'm sure you'll be happy to know that the reason I'm smiling so much is because I just got asked out on a date." I say folding my arms. He keeps scanning my items, not looking up.

     "Oh, I'm so happy to hear that. Ecstatic, even. Overjoyed." He responds sarcastically. I reach over and punch him on the arm and he smiles. "Really, Soph, I'm happy for you. He better not be a douchebag though. Was it that guy with the brunette hair and pale skin? He seems kinda douchey.  If he lays even a finger on you without your consent you call me and I'll, oh I'll... I'll pay someone to beat him up for you." He says at his lack of muscle. I roll my eyes again.

     "I'll be fine, Josh, I promise. You know me, I can stick up for myself." I claim proudly. He sighs, looking over at me.

     "Whatever you say, Soph."

So here's the next chapter, I promise things will start picking up soon! I have a few chapters prewritten so I can upload them when I want to but after that I'm afraid the updates might become less frequent, but I'll try my best! 

-elkj13