Chapter 11: Feeling the World Go Against Us

I awaken to darkness and deafeningly loud music. My head is throbbing and I still feel dizzy. I feel disoriented as I try to stand and feel my way around. I take a step forward and knock into a solid, metal bar. I reach forward and find more, a million metal bars surrounding me in a tight, confined space. Well, maybe it isn't a million. I'm still pretty drugged up and loopy.

           I hear a crowd cheering and my ears start ringing again. I try to call out but my speech is slurred and unintelligible. Suddenly the darkness lifts and I am greeted by bright, flashing lights and even louder music. It sounds as though it's coming from different sides of the room, I look around but all I see are screaming faces and lights. Everything is still blurry and I feel a hand shove me through the bars. My head hits the side of the cage and I fall to the floor awkwardly. I stand up again, steadying myself by holding onto the bars. What the hell is going on?

           The Joker appears in front of me, his green hair being a dead giveaway. He starts talking to me but I can't make out what he's trying to say. He grins evilly and the crowd cheers once again. People start to crowd around the cage and reach in towards me. They pull at my hair and the skimpy clothes I didn't realise I was wearing. They spit drinks in my face and poke me and put out cigarettes on my skin. I have nowhere to go and I still have no idea what's going on.

           The torturous confusion goes on for a long while after that, but people eventually start to get bored and shuffle away. I sit on the floor of the cage with my head in my hands, waiting for it all to be over. The room has stopped spinning and I can hear things more clearly, I still feel dizzy and my head throbs. I feel like I have been through hell and back, I still have hardly any idea of what's been going on. I look up and try to focus on the crowd of people dancing. They're all dressed up in vibrant colours, dancing to the insanely loud music. I look around for J but I can't seem to spot his green hair anywhere in the sea of dancers. I assume he is elsewhere, discussing business with a client or off flirting with another girl. Fucking psycho.

          I watch as people begin to get tired and file out the door one by one. Eventually, everyone has left and all that remains is an empty dance floor and a hell of a mess. I sit at the bottom of the cage, my energy completely drained and barely able to keep my eyes open. The music has stopped and so have the flashing lights which will hopefully give my pounding head a bit of a break.

          The Joker definitely drugged me, it must've been in the chicken parmesan. I would like to believe that J would never do that to me, but that would be crazy to think. He's psychotic, he does what he wants, and he rules the streets of Gotham. But what are we? What were those kisses, did they mean anything to him? Do they mean anything to me? I mean, we kissed twice, that has to mean something. But he's a psychopath, who knows what he's thinking. And for fuck's sake, he drugged me up and threw me in a cage as the main entertainment at one of his parties.

           Part of me wants to be with him, the J part of him, the side of him I met before he kidnapped me. He was such a sweet guy, sure he acted a little strange sometimes but don't all people? I just wish everything could go back to the way it was, but here I am, locked away in a mansion and controlled by the most mentally deranged man possibly on the planet. How lovely.

          I lean my head against the bars of the cage and close my eyes. I am absolutely exhausted. I feel myself start to drift off and I'm too drained to stop myself. I hear footsteps coming towards my enclosure but I don't move, I've already been through hell so what more can they put me through? I hear someone unlock the cage and the opening creaks. A pair of strong arms lifts me up out of the enclosure and starts to carry me away. I nuzzle my head into this body's chest and listen to their heartbeat. I recognise the scent as J's which somehow manages to comfort me after such an uncomfortable evening. I stain his shirt with teardrops.

          I feel like a child who has fallen asleep on the couch and is being carried to bed.

I don't really know how to feel about this part but I'm posting another chapter in a minute or two! Enjoy :)

-elkj13