Living With The Gypsies - Chapter 1.

It’s nearly one thirty am in the morning, and my parents are at it again. As usual, they are fighting over Daddy’s drinking problem. He’s always blowing the little money that we have on alcohol – it really is unfair. He goes out for hours on end to the pub and drinks till he is wasted and comes staggering home, usually to yell at us.

Their shouts are growing louder by the second and I fear for the wellbeing of my mum. They have physically fought each other before and that had ended up with both of them in hospital. My baby sister Sky and I were temporarily put in foster care for awhile and we were lucky (somewhat) that it didn’t stay like that permanently.

I just wish there were some privacy in our tiny two bedroom, one bathroom flat. I have to share with Sky, who is only a couple of months old. When she gets upset during the night, I am the one responsible and I have to deal with her.

Our parents do not take care of us, telling me that I am old enough to look after Sky and myself, so I count down the days when I can move out with Sky. Right now I am fifteen, so I unfortunately still have quite a few years until that will be possible.

I can hear my mother crying now and this is how it usually ends. There’s no more shouting now, which I am grateful for. I am glad Sky had not woken up, as she is usually scared and starts crying when they fight.

The slow, soft footsteps of Mum drifted through the hallway and she was headed towards our bedroom. She quietly opens the door and come over and kneels beside my bed.

 “Angel, we are leaving right now. Wake up Sky and grab what you want to bring with us. Don’t forget to pack Sky’s toiletries, and her bottle,“ She whispers to me and  I nod silently, this had happened before. 

My Mum and I had never gotten along so there was usually a lot of fighting going on between us during these runaway trips. I grabbed Sky and also the things she needed. I chucked it all into one small bag and got a couple of books for me. Mum was waiting for us downstairs and she was sporting a small suitcase. Sky was still sleeping in my arms, which I was thankful for.  We walked out to the garage and hopped into our old second hand Ford. Mum started the engine and we were on the road.

*** 

I had not said another word to my mum and I wasn’t planning on making small talk with her. It was quite clear that she was not going to tell me where we were going and there was nothing I could do except relax. I pulled up Sky’s dirty, used blanky and tugged it over us. She has had the blanky ever since she was born and it was in need of a good wash. I had asked Mum a number of times to wash the blanket, but she always couldn’t be bothered with it, claiming it was ‘fine’.

From what I had gathered over the years is that we had less money that the average Irish family. We had second hand clothes, toys, books – you name it. I actually don’t mind this but every once in a while I do wish I had something to call my own. Although I hadn’t told my friends that my family had financial problems, my friends had noticed that my family was struggling. Whenever I couldn’t afford to bring food or the right stationery to school, they always jumped in and helped me out. My best friend, Misha Cordwell, was the only person who knew in depth of my family’s dark problems and secrets. She gives me her old clothes and is always inviting me over for sleepovers to escape the horrible atmosphere at home.

I felt a pang in my heart when I realised I would be missing school for the next few days and wouldn’t be seeing my friends. School was my escape from home and I enjoyed the six hours away from the fighting.

My eyes started drooping down and soon enough, I could feel myself drifting off the sleep.

I was awakened by the sound of the Ford’s horn blaring and a few frustrated shouts. Mum had just nearly caused an accident, but she drove on, oblivious to the other driver’s shouts and flipped fingers. I notice we are heading into the Irish countryside now, but it is hard to admire anything since it’s still so dark. I’m so glad Sky is still asleep because she would be a right handful if she woke up.

 ***

Just a few minutes before, Mum and I had our first conversation since we left. 

“Did you bring money?” I had asked her boldly from the back seat. 

She nodded her head and I let out a sigh of relief. 

“Do you know where we are going?” that time she shook her head no and said, “We will go where my heart takes me.”

That is one of Mum’s favourite ‘hippie’ terms. She went through the big hippie phase in her early adulthood, and I guess some she still has some ‘inner hippie’ inside her – or so she says.  But you get the idea – hence why she named us Angel and Sky.

When Mum met Daddy, I guess she finally matured. The story goes that it was love at first sight and within a few weeks, Mum and Daddy were married and as happy as they could be. Now it a completely different story.