“Once you are back destroy the scale,” Brandon’s voice echoed in his mind as he closed his eyes. He remember the way Brandon had pulled him aside just before he and the group left to give him one last talk. “With it gone we can be certain that there will be no time travel from your end. Akira won’t attempt any from our time. That way we can all rest assured that everyone stays in their time and everything stays as it should be.”

Opening his eyes again Dominique stared down at the scale. Could he do it? Destroying it meant never seeing Akira again. It meant never hearing her laugh. She would become a figure of the past, nothing more. All that would be left would be the memories.

“Move on with your life, don’t live in the past,” Gina’s voice sounded in his mind as he remembered her giving him those instructions as she had hugged him goodbye. “Akira already has that special someone in her life Dominique. You could too. Just let go of the past and look towards the future. Don’t think of what could have been but of what can actually happen.” She had had a twinkle in her eyes as she added on the next part, “The sun and the moon can never be together. One comes out at night, the other during the day. They live in different times. However,” she had shot a look in Anita’s direction, “The moon and the stars. Now that’s a different story. You see, they live in the same time.”

Dominique looked up to catch sight of Anita dancing together with Lindsy. Anita laughed at something Lindsy said and for a moment Dominique found himself staring at her. When she looked over at him and smiled Dominique found himself returning it before he blinked and quickly looked away.

“You know what,” he suddenly thumped his hand on the table. “Maybe it is time to move on.”

Liam, Jeremiah and Isaac looked over at him. Liam had raised eyebrows, wondering what had brought this sudden outburst on. Pushing back his chair Dominique got up. He lifted his hand which clutched the white scale and stared at it for a moment. He could feel his reluctance to let it go, and yet at the same time he knew there was no other way. Moving on was best, for everyone.

“The past is the past,” he murmured. He turned to the other three guys with a sudden grin. “Here,” he tossed Liam the scale and the other boy caught it in surprise. “Do me a favor and get rid of that, would you?”

Liam raised an eyebrow. “You sure?” He asked.

Dominique nodded. “It’s just time, you know?”

Liam nodded while Isaac and Jeremiah looked somewhat confused. They had never fully grasped the concept that the scale and Dominique were both needed to time travel, yet Liam knew it well, he also knew that Dominique was taking a big step in asking him to destroy it.

“Just remember, you told me told too,” Liam told Dominique.

Dominique nodded.

Liam shrugged as he turned the scale over once in his fingers as though debating with himself. “Well then,” he stood up. “Say your goodbyes.” Turning he suddenly tossed it. It flew straight past a couple sitting at a table nearby and right into the fireplace.

Dominique watched its path into the fire. Dragon scales were fire resistant to some extent, yet if they were heated up long enough, even they could be burned to ash. As he stared at the spot the scale had disappeared into, Liam lifted his mug.

“To the future,” he toasted before he took a sip.

Dominique turned around to see the other two had had followed suit and were taking a drink. Slowly Dominique lifted his own mug.

“To the future,” he repeated before he took a sip. As his eyes landed on Anita once more a sudden smile spread across his face. “I don’t know about you guys, I’m going to enjoy myself.” He put the mug down and headed towards the dance floor.