chapter 2

Chapter 2 “Turning point”

It had changed. At first when Akira had started getting these headaches, after she freed herself from Steeson’s control and killed him, they started off with a dizziness. Yet of late it had come to a point of the headache hitting without warning and the dizziness following after instead of coming before.

Letting out a small gasp Akira put a hand to her head, pressing against it as though it would help to get rid of this piercing pain that made her head feel like it was about to explode. She clenched her teeth, refusing to make a sound, not wanting to draw attention away from Gina and Drake to herself.

“You okay?” Seth whispered as he leaned down beside her.

Through the pain Akira managed to nod. “It’s just a migraine,” she gasped.

Seth looked worried but didn’t push.

“Redemption?” Akira thought as she clenched her hands into fists, causing her nails to dig into her palms.

Every time these headaches came she felt as though she were fighting for control with something and every time, she was scared of what would happen if she lost.

“Calm down kiddo, I’m right here,” Redemption spoke, his voice sounding a lot calmer than he felt.

Akira and Redemption had found out that in moments such as these, if Redemption spoke to Akira then she was able to fight off the headaches, yet this to of late, was ceasing to help as much as it had at the beginning.

As Redemption spoke soothingly to Akira she concentrated on his voice, trying to fight the headache and what came with it with all her might. She didn’t know how long it was before a familiar blackness seemed to take over and then, she faced a moment of nothingness before suddenly the headache was gone as suddenly as it had come.

Slowly she became aware of noise all around her. Blinking in surprise Akira looked up to see that everyone was on their feet, clapping and cheering while Drake and Gina pulled apart from a kiss. A few students let out whistles as the happy couple walked towards the Academy, hand in hand, and Brandon watched, a look of relief on his face that it was over.

Again Akira blinked as she realized that as always, she had blacked out for a moment. Something which accompanied the headaches at the end.

“Ree, did I…?” she began to asked the question she feared.

Redemption had told her a while back that in the moments she blacked out emotions seemed to take over Akira. Emotions and cravings that were nothing like her. It was as though she were not herself at these moments.

“It’s getting worse,” Redemption told Akira worriedly.

Akira didn’t reply. She knew her dragon was right. Ever since she had gotten back from the future she had been fighting these headaches and yet of late they had gotten worse, a lot worse. And it was getting a lot harder to keep them under control, to keep herself under control.

“We should tell –”

“No!” Akira cut her dragon off firmly. “No one is to know of this Ree!”

“But Akira!” Redemption began to argue.

“With Deception running about and us having no idea where she is everyone already has enough to worry about. We don’t need to give them more,” Akira told him firmly.

Seth turned from where he was standing and offered Akira his hand. Akira took it and let him pull her to her feet.

“Let’s go join the party,” Seth told her before he began to lead her to the Academy.