Chapter 25

“Meeting Point”

Seth sat on the window ledge, surveying the scene below. Students were still running around like crazy, getting the last pieces of equipment ready. In the last day alone graduate after graduate had dropped by to stock up on equipment. Seth had no doubt that the other three Academies were experiencing the same thing; it was after all the Academies job to provide weapons.

“He won’t listen to me!”

Seth shot a glance at Gina who was pacing back and forth along the corridor furiously. She stopped to glare at a younger student who had paused to look. In response the younger student scurried off, looking scared.

“Gina, the council has already decided. There is no way they are going to stop now,” Drake told her. “The graduates are going, it’s final.”

Gina shot him a glare before she turned her accusing eyes on Seth. “You,” she pointed a finger at him. “What got in to you to tell Brandon all about Akira building up an army and all that?”

Seth looked away, his gaze returning to the courtyard below.

“Gina,” Drake scolded from where he was leaning up against the wall. “Seth couldn’t exactly lie when Brandon asked him what he knew. Besides, do you want our side to suffer a great loss by being unprepared?”

“But what about Akira?” Gina protested.

Neither Drake nor Seth responded.

Gina pursed her lips, seeming to want to say something and yet stopping herself. With a loud sigh she returned to pacing.

Seth watched as another graduate’s dragon landed. His rider slipped from his back and walked to greet none other than Linken. The two hugged, smiles on both their faces. Seth frowned. Almost every graduate that came in seemed in a good mood. It was almost as though they were gathering for a happy reunion, not for a battle.

A door creaked. Gina stopped pacing at once and Drake turned his head to look. Both saw the door nearby open and Brandon, followed closely by Silas, stepped forth.

“Latest noon,” Silas was saying.

Brandon only nodded. Upon seeing Gina, Drake and Seth waiting, he made no comment. Silas however, looked displeased. His eyes wondered over Drake and Gina as though he were criticizing them, before they came to rest on Seth’s back.

Gina stared at Brandon, question in her eyes.

“Most of the graduates have already reached the meeting point,” he told her gently. “The last few are expected to arrive tomorrow at noon. That’s when they’ll move out together.”

“Do…do you know where she is?” Gina asked swallowing.

“Yes, some villagers have alerted us of her whereabouts,” Brandon replied. He gave away no more as he walked down the corridor. He passed Seth, yet Seth’s gaze stayed on the courtyard below.

“You won’t harm her, will you?” Gina called after Brandon in desperation.

Brandon paused, he looked as though he was about to answer, yet then resumed his step instead. Silas, looking pleased with himself, followed. Yet it was when he reached Seth that he paused.

“You know,” he spoke. “The council has decided that riders that are nearing graduation can accompany the graduates, it would be good practice.”

“Silas,” Brandon growled as he turned to glare at him. He seemed angry.

Seth showed no reaction, yet his mind whirled. Brandon had not mentioned this piece of news before. Had he purposely not wanted Seth to know because he did not want him to come?