Chapter 30

“Façade”

Gina and Drake sat in the mess hall. It was the only place abandoned by all the other students as it had no windows to look out of, thus the two could be alone. Cain had left them to run off with a group of younger boys to continue viewing the storm.

Each time thunder crashed Gina shivered. Drake put an arm around her. He knew she wasn’t afraid. No, Gina was feeling the same way he did. It was as though each lightning bolt, each boom that followed it, was the sound of a dragon in agony.

Redemption let out a snarl as he felt Deception’s claws slice through his flesh, opening a deep gash down his side. Twisting in the air he avoided another blow just in time. He was tiring fast and yet Deception seemed to be filled with just as much energy as she had at the start.

The storm around the two dragons was getting stronger and the wind seemed to howl in triumph every time Deception managed to somehow inflict an injury upon Redemption. The white dragon was struggling. Every beat of his wings was getting harder. His energy was sapping fast as the fight was taking its toll.

As the wind battered against him a rain drop suddenly found its way into Redemption’s eye. He blinked, only for a second, and yet that second was all Deception needed. She slammed into him before Redemption knew what was happening. Digging her claws firmly into him, Deception began to plummet towards the ground with him in her grasp. Redemption tried to scratch her, to perhaps somehow reach her with his teeth, and yet he could do nothing.

Turning his head he saw the clouds disappear. He caught sight of the rock slab Deception was planning to crash him into. Struggled he made one last feeble attempt to get out of her grip and yet he failed. Moments later the black dragon smashed the white one right into the rock slab.

Letting out a snort Deception moved back, staring at the fallen white dragon. Some distance away Akira stood, watching with the same emotionless expression on her face. For a moment Redemption lay still and yet then suddenly, he twitched. Deception watched with her tail swishing back and forth as Redemption slowly dragged himself back to his feet.

It took him three tries before he finally stood again. Dust covered his white scales; his vision was blurred as he swayed. Yet he was not far enough disorientated to realize a change in Deception. It was as though the black dragon suddenly turned even darker, and the power that reeked from her before, doubled. It was so strong Redemption felt as though the pressure would force him back to the ground.

Deception’s eyes seemed to glow brighter and, noticing the change herself, she arched her neck before she pulled back her lips, as though in a toothy smile. Then she let out a roar louder than anything Redemption had ever heard. It was a roar of triumph. For in that moment, the black Dragon of Legend had finally reached full maturity.

As Redemption’s eyesight cleared however, he did not even spare Deception a glance. Instead he was staring at Akira who stood some way behind, still watching. Redemption made a move towards her, yet Deception’s head snapped towards him. Growling she whirled, lashing out with her tail.

It hit Redemption square in his chest. The white dragon felt as though there was a force of not one, but many dragons behind the hit. It knocked the air from his lungs and sent him tumbling across the slab and smashing him through a few remaining walls, which had once separated rooms in the third Academy.

Dust rose into the air before the wind whipped it away, and Deception stood, watching and waiting, her tail still swishing and her yellow eyes gleaming. There was nothing that could stop her now. The wind whipped around her, as though caressing her, the storm claiming her as its own as thunder boomed triumphantly.