Chapter 20

Minimal conversation passed between us as he cooked our breakfast. After everything had finished cooking, he sat down at the table and placed our plates in front of us. He had arranged the food in the shape of a smiley face with a pile of scrambled eggs used as an eye, a pile of fried potatoes used as another eye and two pieces of bacon arranged to look like a mouth.

Looking up at him I grinned, silently questioning his reasoning. "Who would want to eat a boring plate of food?" he rhetorically asked, smiling. "I know I wouldn't." His childlike personality made me laugh. "So, what happened in your dream a few days ago?" Kyle asked me, taking a bite of the crispy bacon.

"Long story short, I was walking through an empty, rundown town and found a really old house. Inside, I found a note that basically said my father had been looking for me, but they found me first and that I could do them a big favor. It was from anonymous. After reading it, a faceless man chased me out," I explained before adding, "And that was before we knew who my dad was."

He thought for a second. "Okay, and the dream you had last night?"

"Last night, I was walking through the same old ghost town, but as I was walking there was an explosion. All the buildings crumbled down, except for that same house. I went inside and found another note in the same place as the last one. It basically said that my father couldn't protect me, that they knew where I was and to watch my back—also from anonymous. The faceless man grabbed me and started dragging me deeper into the house, until I heard you calling my name and I woke up," I enlightened him.

"Obviously, it's not a normal dream. Someone's controlling it," Kyle said with his mouth full of scrambled eggs.

Picking at some potatoes with my fork, I crunched my eyebrows. "What do you mean? Someone can't literally control my dreams."

"It's possible," Kyle assured me. "Just not everybody can. It would have to be a child of Morpheus—the god of dreams. Maybe the man trying to challenge the gods is a son of Morpheus. He could be the one getting in your dreams."

"Only the Olympian gods' children stay at Safe Haven, though," I reminded him. "Morpheus isn't one of the Olympians, so his children aren't in Safe Haven."

"That's the problem. Without the demigod being here, we have no idea who it could be," he said finishing off his plate.

"How could a child of Morpheus have powers?" I questioned. "I thought only children of the Big Three had them."

He swallowed the food in his mouth before speaking. "The children of the Big Three always receive their parents' powers. The rest of the Olympian children rarely get them. No one in Safe Haven other than me, you and Dylan has powers. Children from the minor gods could possibly get powers, but it's extremely rare," he explained.

I pondered the situation and tried piecing things together. "How does Aidan going missing fit into all this?" I asked pushing my plate forward, having eaten everything my stomach could hold.

Kyle sighed and laid his hand on his stomach, clearly full himself. "I don't know, but whoever is challenging the gods is getting brave. He will come any day now, practically fearless. So, guess what? It's time for you to train."

I crossed my arms. "Even if you teach me all the fighting techniques there are, we don't have enough time for me to master them."

The son of Hades shook his head. "I just need you to learn some self-defense, not the whole package," he said. "You're going to learn how to use your powers, how to use your trident properly, how to sword fight, and overall self-defense." Kyle smiled.