Chapter 37

I shook my head. "You're lying."

"No, Riley, I'm not. Terran killed your mother so you'd be easier to get to. He's planned for all this to happen ever since the Big Three gods had children. Kyle and Dylan were easy to get to Safe Haven because their fathers brought them here, but your mother was careful. She didn't want you knowing about the gods until you were older. She and your father agreed to keep you a secret. So, Terran had to make an alteration in his plan. Fortunately, each domino fell after the other and all of Terran's plans pulled through in the end."

I shook my head and fell to my knees. They murdered my mother. I couldn't wrap my head around it. My sadness quickly turned into anger as the news replayed in my mind. It felt like she was dying all over again. A tear slipped down my cheek. My grip on my weapon tightened until my knuckles turned white and my fingertips felt numb. I gritted my teeth and slammed the blade of my sword into the ground.

The ground cracked under our feet and chunks of the earth flew into the air around us and moved along in a chain reaction. The dirt exploded underneath Aidan, making him fly back several yards and slam into a tree trunk.

"Need some help?" a voice asked behind me. Looking over my shoulder, I watched Travis jog up to me. There was a deep gash across his cheek and plenty of bruises dotted his arms.

I nodded and turned back to face Aidan. A creepy smile was stretched across his face as he climbed to his feet. Travis spun around and swung his sword at Aidan. The son of Apollo barely had time to do anything. He was able to jump back, but not before getting a gash across his chest.

Aidan returned the favor and kicked Travis in the stomach making him topple over, then hit him with the flat of his blade in the back of the head. Travis collapsed to the ground, unconscious.

I pointed my blade toward Aidan's chest in case he tried anything. As anger consumed me, a rush of adrenaline helped me to my feet. My mother was murdered and he didn't have a care in the world. He wanted to overpower my dad. I sliced my blade through the air, toward his head. He ducked and punched me in the stomach. As I crouched over in pain, I kicked his legs out from under him.

Quickly moving to stand above him, I pointed my sword at his neck and watched his smile grow. "Do it. Kill me," he taunted. "Now's your chance." There was no way I could kill someone and Aidan knew that. He shrugged at my hesitation. "Or don't." Before I knew it, he kicked me in the back and I fell to my stomach in the dirt. He quickly stood up and pointed his sword at my back. "Drop your sword," he commanded. When I hesitated, he pushed the blade harder onto my back.

"Okay, okay." I released my weapon, letting it fall into the dirt beside me. He picked up my bronze sword and threw it into a nearby bush.

"Stand up." I did as I was told and slowly climbed to my feet.

"Are we ready?" a voice questioned behind Aidan.

"You couldn't have had better timing," Aidan replied.

"Great, let's go, and don't even think about using your powers," the man warned me. I turned my head in the direction of the voice. It was Terran.

"Where are Dylan and Kyle?" Aidan asked him.

"Dylan flew off and took Kyle with him." Terran grabbed my upper arms. "I don't know where they went, but we'll come back for them soon. We can go ahead and get the portal made without them."

I pondered the situation. Kyle and Dylan would come back for me, right? They said the three of us were in this together, but I was by myself in this situation. I had to rely on myself to get out of here. I focused on the anger building up inside of me. Terran poisoned my mother. He wanted to overthrow my father. He betrayed me. He said he would be a father figure to me. He lied about everything.

I reached toward the same bush Aidan threw my sword into. I wasn't going to go down without a fight. My sword flew into my palm. I twisted my arms out of Terran's grip and sliced my sword at him. He suffered a deep cut to his back and I didn't feel guilty about it. I then swung my blade at Aidan, but he had already realized what was happening. He disarmed me for a second time and shoved me to the ground. At my attempt to stand up, he stomped on my stomach. Blood trickled off my bottom lip and slid down my chin. I kicked upward and hit him in the back, making him fall onto the ground beside me.

His cackle was full of disgust. "You will not give up, will you?" He kicked me in the side.

I only smiled, as more blood trickled from my mouth. "Good luck getting me to make you a portal." I was too weak to attack him back physically; I needed to let Dylan and Kyle know I wasn't safe. With a simple tap of my finger on the dirt below me, an earthquake shook the grounds of Safe Haven.

Aidan looked furious. "Every hero has a breaking point," he spoke the exact words Zeus had told me before the boys and I left the hideout. Aidan's foot came down and slammed into my head. My vision immediately went blurry and I looked to the sky. Someone was standing in a tree with their hand over their mouth. That's when everything went black and I slipped away from consciousness.

#

I woke up staring at a dull, yellow ceiling light with a pain in my head. Sitting up, I relied on my elbows to hold my weight as I looked around the small, quiet room. The walls were painted white, while the floor was the same dark gray as the ceiling.

Goosebumps covered my skin as I shivered in the cold air. My weapon was nowhere to be seen and my stomach was growling, begging for food. There was no telling how long I had been here.

My first panicked thought was about Dylan and Kyle. I had seen Dylan right before I blacked out. He was the boy in the tree. Maybe they had gotten captured, too, and were just in different rooms. With my back against the wall, I stared at the ceiling. I hoped Travis was okay, too. After watching him go unconscious, I should've checked on him and made sure he was okay.

I sat there in the floor for a long time, feeling helpless. I couldn't do anything but hope help was coming. On multiple occasions, I tried opening the door, but found it locked each time.

Every day I was given water and three meals. The only things I had to help keep track of time were the meals and my sleeping schedule.

I lived in those conditions for many more days.

One morning, I woke up feeling much worse than the days before. I was cold, hungry and feeling extremely nauseated. I sat on the cold cement floor and shivered for hours.

Closing my eyes, I imagined myself back at the hideout with Dylan and Kyle. I pictured the three of us talking and hanging out, not having any monsters to fight or any worries at all. We were just laughing and making jokes. We were creating fond memories.

The room door opened, jarring me back to reality. I immediately opened my eyes and lifted my head. A boy was thrown on the floor and locked in the room with me. Blood was drying in a section of his black hair and a dark purple bruise covered his right cheekbone. His dirt-covered clothes were ragged and ripped in random places, and his arms were covered in battle wounds.

I pushed myself farther against the wall, fearing the unknown figure sitting before me. The boy quickly scrambled to his feet and looked around the dark room, dazed and on edge. His dark brown eyes stopped at the sight of me and widened in realization. I smiled as I recognized him.

***

Sorry again for not uploading yesterday! I update every day and sometimes I like a little break:)

Thanks for reading!

Vote!

Comment!

**Until next time:))