Chapter 25

Sabrina's lifeless body rested on the couch with a dagger planted in the center of her chest and blood saturating her and the blankets beneath her. A squeak escaped my throat.

"Riley?" Dylan must have heard my shocked reaction in the sudden silence. "Kyle?" he spoke up again. "Are you there?"

"Yeah." Kyle gently placed his fishing pole on the floor. "Dylan?"

"Yeah?" the son of Zeus asked half-heartedly as if he knew bad news was coming.

"We found Sabrina."

Dylan breathed. "Is she...?"

"Yeah...she's dead," Kyle finished for him.

"What do we do?" I asked, finally removing my hand from my mouth. "We found a dead body—we need to call the police," I stammered.

Without answering me, Kyle walked to Sabrina's corpse. He reached down for a folded piece of paper on her stomach, then handed it to me. It had my name written on it. I silently unfolded the paper and discovered it was a note that read: "Poor Sabrina didn't see it coming, and she won't be the last. All I'm asking is for you to make a portal; I can take care of the rest. Turn yourself, Kyle and Dylan in and this won't happen again. Or don't. I'll get what I want either way. Hiding is just a waste of your time. This proves that point. –Anonymous."

I handed it to Kyle, who read it aloud so Dylan could hear. "What is that?" Dylan asked after listening.

"A note left with Sabrina's body," Kyle replied, a blank expression shadowing his face.

"What are we supposed to do?" I panicked. "We can't let people keep dying, but we can't turn ourselves in." Shaking my head, I ran my fingers through my hair. "Sabrina's dead, and Aidan disappeared before she did. Where in the world is he? What if he's dead, too?"

"Calm down," Dylan spoke in a soothing voice. "But you're right; we're going to need some help."

Kyle sighed and shook his head. "From who? Everyone we know is either missing or with Terran."

"We know three people who are on our side," Dylan reminded us. "Our parents."

At that, I gained some hope. "How do we get ahold of them?" I asked.

"Leave that to me," Dylan said. "You two call the police so they can do something about the body."

"Should we really get the police involved?" Kyle questioned, having second thoughts.

"We have to; just don't tell them about the note, the monsters after you and the killing spree."

"Of course," I agreed.

"After I contact our parents, I'm coming down there," Dylan spoke more quietly than before. "I've got to go; Terran is coming and he'd kill me if he found out I'm talking to you two."

"Okay. When you come down here, it's for good. If the three of us can do anything, we have to be together and do it together," Kyle ordered.

"Thank the gods," Dylan said, relieved. "I'll see you guys in a little bit."

"Bye," Kyle said and hung up the phone. "You call the police." He handed me the phone.

"What about you?"

He drew his sword. "I've got to get rid of this. The police will be asking a lot of questions if they see my sword."

Nodding, I started dialing the number. "Hello...my friend and I found a dead body." I walked out of the hideout, away from the vile metallic stench.