Chapter 34

After a short while, we decided to continue training. My dad helped me with my powers, while Dylan and Kyle did some more sword fighting.

Poseidon made a gallon of water levitate off the ground in front of me and told me to gain control of it.

"I can't do this," I spoke, losing confidence.

"Yes, you can," he persuaded me. "Tap into the element. Feel yourself grabbing the water with your mind."

"Okay." I took a deep breath to calm my nerves. "It can't be that hard, right?"

Visualizing tapping into the element with my mind, I imagined the water flowing in the direction I gestured with my hand. The water did as it was told and flowed toward the sky. I filled with excitement and envisioned the water spouting all directions like a fountain.

"That's my girl!" Poseidon cheered. "Keep going."

I controlled it again and this time the water carried more smoothly like it knew exactly what to do. It flowed through the air around us like a little creek would flow through a forest.

"Have you made any earthquakes?" my dad asked me.

"I made the ground explode, then a small earthquake followed after," I explained.

"Do you know how you did it?"

I shook my head. "I had an urge to jam my trident handle into the ground, so that's what I did."

"Well, it looks like you figured it out," the sea god smiled.

Shrugging my shoulders, I nodded. "I guess I did."

He ran his fingers through his hair and looked me in the eyes. "I can't teach you many other things."

"Why not?" I prodded. I didn't think it was a good idea to throw an inexperienced demigod in the middle of a war without letting them know how to use their own powers.

"I don't know what you are capable of," he told me honestly.

"What do you mean?"

"I don't know what powers you possess," he clarified. I didn't reply, for I was filled with confusion. Although it wasn't the answer I was hoping for, I couldn't do anything about it. "Let's see if you can sense nearby water," he said. "I want you to tap into the element just like you did before, but I need you to sense."

I raised an eyebrow. "That's a power?"

He nodded. "I don't know if you can do it or not, but it's possible. Close your eyes and look for the elements."

At first I thought he was joking, but quickly did as I was told when he didn't follow through with a laugh. I thought of the way I had felt when I was controlling the water and focused on that sense.

If someone had asked me how, I wouldn't have been able to answer, but I sensed a lot of water half a mile to my left. The beach. It gave me a similar feeling to when you feel like someone is staring at you. It's a feeling that draws your attention, like it's begging you to go looking for it.

Opening my eyes, I smiled. "I found it. The ocean is about half a mile to our left." I pointed in its direction.

He nodded. "Good job. Give this time and you won't have to focus on finding it. You'll automatically know." His proud smile presented his straight, white teeth. "How about you do some power fighting with the boys?"

I nodded, liking the idea. We joined the sword fighting boys and asked if they were up for the challenge. They agreed.

"Be careful," Zeus ordered. "We can't afford any of you getting injured."