20

December 21st, 1980

We were being given a short break from traveling and lucky for us it was around Christmas time

We were being given a short break from traveling and lucky for us it was around Christmas time. I decided that I was spending it with my father since I hadn't done so in years. My flight to New York from Detroit was boring and it felt weird to be on my own. No friends, boyfriend, or co-workers. Just me.

As I entered the usually warm and inviting home, I was greeted by silence. My boots left a trail of melting snow as I traveled down the hall to the vacant kitchen instantly being drawn in by the smell of cinnamon. My eyes landed on a piece of paper with red ink scribbled on it, I allowed my eyes to skim over it quickly before I balled it up.

"Come home for Christmas, they said. There'll be food, they said." I muttered after opening the refrigerator to get the pitcher filled with water.

"I come here and no one is home plus there's no food, what a setup." I felt a hand wrap around my shoulder causing me to flinch, my breath hitched in my throat before I turned slowly to face the sudden intrusion.

When I made a full 180 I was greeted by a navy v-neck and pale skin so I backed up a bit so I could fully scope out their face.

I was shocked to see a light peach fuzz adorning his defined cheekbones, his nose was slightly pointed and had dark freckles scattered across it, his eyes were a warm blue and had long thick lashes extending around them, the curly mane he grew to his shoulders wasn't a definite shade it was a mixture of blonde, and light brown.

"What the hell--who are you?" I asked whilst arching an eyebrow at him, he kisses his teeth after giving me the elevator look. His heart shaped lips pulled into an obvious scowl causing me to narrow my eyes.

"I should be asking you the same thing, you're in the house I live in." I was caught off guard by how deep his voice was, his toned arms crossed over his abdomen. The air was thick with tension as I stared at his towering figure which just added to the things that made him very intimidating.

"Well, if you feel like you must know my dad gave me the key to the place!" I spat before awaiting his reply, his features softened as he studied my face for a few moments.

"Wait, you're Leigh?" He asks a hint of amusement in his tone, I nodded my head slowly not understanding how he knew me before this.

"I'm your stepbrother, Hunter--" My eyes widen at his bold statement, "Well, future stepbrother."

"You're joking, right?" I forced a laugh as I made eye contact with Hunter, his lips tugged into a crooked grin.

"Why would I be joking? We're siblings now!" I showed no hints of enthusiasm causing him to laugh nervously, "Please try not to look too excited."