The Ballad Of Mona Lisa ↣ Dan

Start from the beginning

You open your mouth, then close it again.

But Dan speaks before you can.

"How many more are there?" He asks, tilting his head to the side to look at you. He does not look happy.

"W-What?"

"How many more bottles are there?" He snaps.

You set your jaw and try not to cry. "Empty or filled?"

♪And takes a moment to assess the sin she's paid for♪

"Dammit, (Y/N)!" Dan yells, throwing the bottle on the floor. It shatters, and glass splays everywhere. You wince.

"I thought you said you were doing okay! I thought you said you were drinking Ribena!" Dan shouts. He paces back and forth in your small kitchen, broken glass crunching underneath his shiny dress shoes. "You said you didn't need help! You said you were better!"

"Dan!" You rush forward and grab his arm. "Dan, I'm sorry!"

You slip a little on the glass under your heels, but Dan grabs your arms to catch you.

"(Y/N), why?" He asks, gripping your arms tighter. "Why don't you let me help you?"

"B-Because..." You straighten yourself. "I don't need help."

"Bullshit." Dan spats, letting go and pushing past you. He stomps out of the kitchen, and you stand there in shock for a moment.

"Dan, wait!" You call and quickly follow him to your lounge.

"I'm sorry!"

He doesn't answer. He just sits down on the couch and crosses his arms. He avoids your eyes.

"Please, just listen!"

♪A lonely speaker in a conversation♪

"Dan..." You sigh and sit down next to him. "I..." You squeeze your eyes shut, embarrassed about the words you want to say.

But you can't bring yourself to say them.

So the two of you sit in silence.

♪Her words are swimming through his ears again♪

Finally Dan just sighs and rubs his face with his hands. He sinks back into the couch and exhales deeply.

"Now I'm the one that needs a drink, (Y/N)."

♪There's nothing wrong with just a taste of what you've paid for♪

"Dan..." You say for the millionth time tonight. "I..."

"Go 'head," Dan says, motioning to you with his hand. "Say it. Say what you really mean."

♪Say what you mean♪

"I'm right, aren't I?" Dan asks.

You don't answer.

"Aren't I?" He repeats.

♪Tell me I'm right♪

"Yes," you whisper, looking down at your lap. You fold your hands. "You're right. I need help. I've been drinking again."

"(Y/N)-" Dan starts, but you interrupt him.

"That's not all."

Dan raises his eyebrow skeptically.

"I have something else to tell you, too," you take a deep breath.

"Go on then. Tell me the truth."

♪And let the sun rain down on me♪

When you don't speak, Dan takes your hand tightly and looks you in the eye.

"Please."

♪Give me a sign, I want to believe♪

You inhale. "Before I met you, I drank...a lot."

Despite the anxiety growing inside you, you keep your eyes locked on Dan's. You've never talked about your past before, but there's no other person you'd rather tell it to. You trust him, and you hope to God he trusts you too.

"I..." Your voice lowers. This is the hardest part to admit for you. "I s-slept around as well. And I...I took money for it. Sometimes."

Dan sits up a little straighter and shifts closer to you. He's still holding your hand.

"I did some stupid stuff," your shoulders sag. "And I hated myself for it. But I just couldn't seem to stop. I was at a point in my life where I...I just..."

At this point, the tears finally come. They pour out of your eyes, and you start sobbing.

Dan wraps his arms around you, awkwardly at first, but then he melts into a hug.

"(Y/N), listen," he says quietly. His smooth voice is right at your ear, and it almost calms you down. "I don't care."

♪Whoa, Mona Lisa, you're guaranteed to run this town♪

You hug him back tightly. "Wh-what?"

"I don't care about your past," Dan says. "Because that's exactly what it is. The past."

You pull away from the hug and wipe your eyes. No doubt your makeup is a wreak from bawling your eyes out.

"Really?" You ask. You sound like a child. So broken, so innocent. Even though you think you're the exact opposite.

Dan gives the ghost of a smile.

"Yes, really," he laughs a little.

"Th-thank you," you continue to try to wipe away your tears, but to no avail. "So much."

"I love you, (Y/N)," Dan says, holding your hand again. "And nothing will ever change that. Your past, your future, nothing. I love you."

♪Whoa, Mona Lisa, I'd pay to see you frown♪

fin