First Day of Work

***Devon's POV***

I woke quite early this morning to get ready for work. I threw on some black skinny jeans with a black spaghetti-strapped shirt. I stared at my bare arms. It made me feel out of place considering I was working at Hot Topic. Everyone there had piercings and tattoos. I had started my tapers last night, but it would take a while before even the smallest hole started to form. I needed a tattoo, not because of Hot Topic, but because I wanted one. I had the idea of what I wanted in my head. It would be a wolf on my upper arm. I couldn't wait. Frankie was already in the kitchen waiting for the pancakes to be ready. He was making a big breakfast for my first day of work.

"Babe, I want a tattoo." I said as I walked into the kitchen. Frank looked up from the pancakes and grinned. I stopped where I was.

“That doesn’t look to good.” I stepped back. Frank dropped the spoon he was holding and ran towards me. I screamed and ran backwards. Frank caught up to me and threw me over his shoulder. I squealed and punched his back.

“I knew this day would come!” Frankie squeezed me.

“What?” I stopped fighting and laid there. Frank was stronger than I thought. He put me down slowly. I looked up to him, confused.

“I want you to get a tattoo. I think you’ll look amazing with one.” He kissed my cheek and went back to cooking. We ate and I headed off. Frankie drove me to the mall. I couldn’t be more nervous. I wanted to keep this job so badly, but what if I messed up? What if the other employees didn’t like me? I bit my lip at the sensation running through my bones. I could feel myself tingling at every thought that crossed my head.

“Don’t be nervous babe. You’ll be great.” Frankie patted my head. I wish I could say that I agreed with him, but my brain was telling me different. The car stopped in front of the mall. I looked at Frankie with fright in my eye. I felt like a ninth grader walking into the high school for the first time.

“Take this,” Frankie handed me a necklace that he always wore, “When you get nervous just put in on. It will make you feel like I am there with you.” Frankie kissed my forehead before I went off. As I walked into Hot Topic, which was completely empty, I got death glares from the other workers. I headed straight to the manager’s office.

“Hi. Devon right?” He asked as I walked in. I nodded. He handed me a lanyard with keys on the bottom.

“If anyone needs some jewelry, just use the keys to open up the box. The other keys are for the cash register and front desk. I didn’t feel like removing them, so I’m entrusting you not to open any of those things.” The manager shooed me. I went back into the store and stared to rearrange the band tees. I adjusted them to the correct spot.

“Hi. What’s your name?” A high-pitched voice asked. I turned to see another employee staring at me. Others who were helping took a quick glance to see what was happening.

“Umm…ummm…Devon Wheeler. My name is Devon.” I managed to get out. She giggled and shook my dead-like hand.

“My name is Mariah, you know.” She dropped my hand. I smiled at her and got back to work. It’s not that I didn’t want to talk to Mariah, it’s just I wanted to make a good first impression on the boss. I could feel the eyes of other employees staring me down. I turned around again to see Mariah socializing with some boy. They looked cute together. She was very short and he was very tall. She was albino, while he was tan. Mariah noticed me staring. She skipped over to me.

“That’s David. He’s my step-brother. We are super duper close. I just wanted you to know that isn’t busy on weekdays so maybe you should bring a book or something. That’s what we all do. If you’re worried about Mr. Asshole over there, he doesn’t come out of his cave until the store closes.” While telling me the rules, she made hand motions. I nodded. I could see how the abandoned this store looked. I did bring my mini-sketchpad for emergencies. It was a coping method if I ever had an anxiety attack. I looked around. None of the employees were looking. Why did I think they were? Mariah went skipping off to fix up the jewelry. I went back to fixing up the rest of the shirts. It was a very non-productive day. About six people came in and only two of them got anything. This store was always packed where I used to live. Once I was done with the work that was needed to be done, I leaned against the counter. I took out my drawing pad and started to draw. I wasn’t exactly sure what it was, but everything seemed to get calm. I had a feeling I was going to like it here.

***Time Laspe***

“Hey beautiful, how was work?” Frankie asked as soon as I left the store. It was cute that he was waiting for me.

“It was fun. I met some people and the job isn’t that hard. I could get used to working there.” I smiled.

“I’m starving, want to get some sushi. There’s a nice place in the mall. I always go there.” Frankie grabbed my hand and led me to the sushi place. It was empty like the rest of this mall. The only two people there were complaining about something. I couldn’t see them, but I could recognize that voice anywhere. Gerard was sitting at the sushi bar.

“Gerard?” I shouted. The voices shut up and Gerard poked his head to the waiting counter.

“Frankie! Devon!” He rushed towards us with a hug waiting. Frankie stood in front of me and embraced me, saving me from death. I could already see it, Gerard trying to hug me, but knocking me down. I giggled at the sight of it.

“I didn’t know you came here.” I pointed out.

“I would hope not, considering you just moved here.” He stated. I blushed at his comment. Stupid me.

“So why don’t we all get something to eat. I’m freaking starving.” We all took our places and ordered. After a few minutes of small talk, my phone started to ring. I excused myself.

“Perry? What’s up?”

“I just took the test. I am pregnant. I’m going to have a baby!” I couldn’t tell if she was more nervous of excited. I was excited for her.

“Yay! Do you want me to inform the boys?” I asked.

“Sure. I have to go. I need to tell Zach. I don’t know how this will go down.” The long beeping noise entered my ear so I put down the phone. I headed back to where Gerard and Frankie were. The food had arrived.

“Perry is pregnant.” I announced.