chapter thirty-nine

Start from the beginning

There was a sudden pause and just as I was about to end the voicemail all together, her voice was back on the line, and the next thing she said was something that I was prepared for.

"I still love you, Joe and if you still believe in me, in us, call me back please."

Then her voice cut off and a robotic voice was asking me whether I wanted to delete the voicemail or save it.

"If you would like to save these messages, press one. If you would like to delete them, press two-" the robotic voice said in a monotonic tone. My finger hovered over two and before I could comprehend what I was doing, my finger was already pressing the number and the voicemails were gone within a millisecond.

"FUCKING HELL!" I screamed loudly before throwing my phone down and running my hands through my hair. I didn't know what I listened to the voicemail, all it did was make me feel worse. All it did was give me a longing, a yearning to have her in my arms, just so I could convince myself that the girl I loved didn't just break up with me.

I wish I could tell myself that right now, Alyssa Deyes was still mine.

ALYSSA DEYES' POV
"Earth to Alyssa Deyes," the Australian in front of me snapped his fingers in my face, trying to get to my attention.

"Sorry Troye."

"You've been in another world ever since I got here. What's going on?"

"Nothing," I replied quickly, closing my eyes. "I'm just happy you're here."

"I'm happy I'm here too," his reply was quick as he adjusted his position. "But I know that something's wrong. You can't bullshit me."

"Nothing-" I stopped talking when the door opened and revealed Zoë who looked at me quickly before looking over at Troye.

"Can I talk to you for a second?" she asked hesitantly, her question directed towards me. I looked over at Troye who was already standing up to leave.

"I'll just be downstairs," his reply was automatic, something that everyone said. Although I could sense that there was a creeping suspicion underlying his words. He exited the room quickly, closing the door behind him. Zoë leaned against it and looked down at me.

"Are you okay?"

"No," I replied quickly, unable to look her in the eyes. "Do I look okay? I can barely have a conversation with my best friend."

"Alyssa," she cooed before bending down to get to my level. "Look at me."

"I can't."

"What?"

"Every time I look at you, you just remind me of him," I choked out, before looking down at the ground. Zoë let out a sigh as she stood up once again.

"Alyssa-" she started, but I stood up abruptly making her stop.

"I don't want to talk about this, Zoë," I said firmly, watching as she just nodded and stepped aside, letting me get to the door. I walked past her quickly and opened the door, only to see Troye leaning against the railing.

"What did he do?"

"I don't know what you're talking about," I breathed out, watching as he smiled quickly and shook his head in disbelief.

"What did Joe do?"

"He didn't do anything, Troye," I whispered, before looking back in the direction of my room only to see that Zoë was standing in the doorway watching Troye and I.

"Cut the bullshit-" he started but I was already on him, my anger growing with every single word he said.

"He cheated on me and I broke up with him!" I said loudly, watching as the smirk on his face fell. "Is that what you wanted to hear?!"

Troye stayed quiet after that, his eyes unable to meet mine. After a few unbearable seconds, I sighed and ran a hand through my hair. "I'm sorry, that was uncalled for."

"You shouldn't be the one apologizing. I'm sorry that he did that to you, Alyssa."

"I'll get over it one day, right?"

"Of course you will," Zoë piped up from her place. "But for now, I need you to promise me something."

"What?"

"Promise me that you'll give him two days to reach out, before you do anything that you might regret," she said, before giving me a knowing look. Troye stood there, completely oblivious to what she was saying but I knew exactly what she meant, and it took me a few seconds before I answered.

"I promise, Zoë."

+

Okay so here's a little filler chapter of the aftermath of the breakup between Joe and Alyssa! It's probably boring as hell but I can promise you that the next chapter will be interesting and it'll be something that you don't want to miss!

Make sure to let me know if you enjoyed this chapter and if you're excited for the next chapter to come! I hope you're all having a lovely day!

-Angelina