chapter two

"Thanks for catching me." I said as soon as Zoë finished her sentence. Joe smiled and ran a hand through his hair.

"Anytime." He said simply before he sat on the bench and started to take off his skates. Alfie cleared his throat, causing me to tear my gaze away from Joe. My eyes set on Caspar's who was smirking at me and I rolled my eyes. He let out a soft laugh before he looked at Zoë and Alfie and motioned for them to come on the rink.

"Alyssa are you coming?" Zoë asked while she put on her skates.

"Uh..." I tried to think of an excuse as I looked around, "I think I'll keep Joe company."

Zoë raised her eyebrows and then nodded with a grin on her face. She grabbed Alfie's hand and pulled him onto the ice with her as the two of them followed Caspar on the ice.

I looked at Joe who was busy untying his skates, and sat down beside him.

"Why didn't you just tell them you didn't want to skate?" Joe asked as he looked up at me. I avoided his gaze and shrugged not really knowing why I didn't just tell them that.

"I don't know if Caspar told you this but Zoë and Alfie wouldn't shut up about how you were coming to live with them," Joe said.

"He mentioned it."

"It's nice to finally meet you..." Joe admitted quietly and pursed his lips into a thin line.

"Funny Caspar said the same thing."

"Well it was hard to not wonder who Alfie's cousin was, what they looked..."

"Well Sugg you got to see me." He let out a laugh at my comment as I looked at the skating rink.

"What do you do? You know as a job?" I asked, my gaze still set on the rink.

"Well actually I'm a YouTuber." He said quietly as if people around him would hear him and he was afraid to be judged.

"Are you really?" I asked, partially amused at the expression on his face.

"I really am, look up ThatcherJoe when you get back to Brighton."

"Okay." I said but it came more out as a stutter as a cold gust of wind hit my face, giving me the chills. It's either Joe saw me shudder or he was being really nice to me because what he said next was something you don't just say to someone you met ten minutes ago. Or at least no one ever said that to me within ten minutes of meeting me.

"Alyssa do you want to go get a coffee? There's a café somewhere around here."

"Uh sure but do you think Zoë, Caspar and Alfie will mind if we leave them?" I asked timidly as he stood up.

"If I'm being really honest...I don't give a shit about whether they care or not." Joe said.

I let out a laugh at his comment which seemed to make him smile. The both of us fell in step with each other as Joe and I walked in silence around Winter Wonderland trying to find the coffee shop.

"Do you wanna play 20 questions? Just to get to know each other." He asked suddenly.

"Uh yeah, you go first." I said as I looked around at the scene in front of me.

"What's your favourite colour?"

"Blue." I answered quickly and looked up at him only to see him nodding to himself.