"I will." His arms encircled his arms around her waist, his hands splaying on her lower back and he pulled her to him. His lips lingering on her cheek, "Thank you. But did you get something for yourself."

She had slightly stiffened in his arms. Regret was etching in her mind marring the happiness of this moment. "Yes I did."

Another embrace with another man was still strong in her mind. She shouldn't have let him kiss her. Now that it was done she couldn't stop having muddled feelings. She was tormented between the two men. Each willing to give her happiness but she had to choose the right from wrong. Swallowing hard the emotions that clogged her throat, she finally raised her eyes to his, "It's dinner time. I am hungry."

For many seconds, he stared at her face as she detangled herself from him. She walked away leaving him in the silent room. But her deep eyes disturbed him.

What was she hiding?

His hold on the wallet tightened and he decided he was thinking too much. She was probably tired.

But many times, the first instincts are the right ones...

****

Late night, she was laying on her side of the bed staring blankly at the wall and the curtained window. Salman shifted in bed and scooted closer to her. His fingers softly trailing up and down the sleeved arm of her fleece pajamas.

"I enjoyed the dinner. What was the special occasion?" his breath tickling her nape and raising the hair on the back of her neck.

She closed her eyes and again a pang of guilt slithered through her chest, "It was the end of the semester so I was in a happy mood."

His fingers interlaced with hers, "I think the shopping trip did you good. If that is the case, you should go to shopping regularly."

She shut her eyes the regret turning into sweet pain. Why was he being so nice? It would not have hurt her if he had been harsh as in the past. She couldn't endure this selfless behaviour of his. It was escalating her guilt.

"Let's sleep." she mumbled sleepily and yawned to indicate how tired she was.

Kissing her neck, he murmured, "Yes you have been a busy girl today."

She bit her lower lip, don't mention being busy, her mind screamed.

She would work harder. She would make up to him.

These were the lingering thoughts before finally sleep took over. But she was very disturbed even in slumber.

A demon was after her. Ready to attack her and on its way ruining her for a very long time.

****

He was lightly snoring, when she rose after fighting off nightmares. She was sweating again even on this sub-zero temperature night. She kicked the heavy duvet away from her clammy body. Her pajama top was stuck to her body. She hastily sat up, pulling back her hair and lightly tugged at them. Sleep was out of the question now. Her heart was in a turmoil. The myriad of emotions she had been feeling all day was transformed into dangerous nightmares that now she was frightened to close her eyes.

It was wrong. Terribly wrong. How could she let another man touch her? When did Daud come so close? All she had asked for was friendship. She was well aware nothing else was possible and besides she believed in being faithful to her husband.

How could she defend herself?

His vicious words jabbing into her chest like spears. Kissing him back was on an instinct a memory of a long time embrace. Her body had reacted on its own. Her mind had been numb to fathom what was happening. She wasn't fast to take the appropriate action and because of which he mocked her.