She got down cooking remembering how much he liked her lasagne and chocolate cake. She was shuffling through the ingredients in the fridge and gathered everything she needed. The pots were simmering with sauces and minced meat. The mixing bowl was being added with eggs, sugar, flour and cocoa powder.

Time passed, flour smeared her forehead, tomato pasta sauce on her left cheek but she relentlessly cooked the meal she had planned. She was in midst of setting the cake batter in the oven when Seema sauntered in the kitchen. A graceful smile dawning on her lips, "My beti is busy cooking today?"

Nawal nodded as she placed the cake tin on top of the preheated oven rack. She then rummaged through the fridge for the salad ingredients to prepare a quick Greek salad.

"What's the occasion?" Seema enquired.

Nawal shook her head and took out iceberg lettuce, cherry tomatoes and cucumbers from the fridge. Juggling the ingredients in her arms, she mumbled, "Nothing." Kicking lightly the fridge door closed, she dumped the ingredients on the kitchen counter.

Puzzled, Seema noticed Nawal didn't meet her eyes with her. Understanding that Nawal was occupied with cooking Seema quietly left the kitchen, letting her daughter in law resume her cooking without any interruptions.

As soon as Seema stepped out of the kitchen, Nawal sagged against the counter and exhaled heavily. She really didn't want to face anyone right now. Her mind was reeling to what happened this afternoon and she kept reassuring herself it was nothing. A meaningless encounter. Pushing distressful thoughts aside, she went back to chopping the vegetables for the salad.

****

Salman reached home right on time when dinner was ready and Nawal was taking a quick shower so that she didn't stink of all the onion, garlic and tomatoes that she had been chopping and cooking. The hot pink towel wrapped around her head in a turban, she emerged from the bathroom when her eyes landed on her husband who was peeling off his overcoat from his broad shoulders.

"Assalam alaikum," she said softly, her eyes downcast.

Grinning, he turned around, loosening his tie, "Walaikum salaam. How are you? How was your day?" he asked in a delightful voice.

Ambling to the dresses, standing in front of the mirror, she loosened the towel from her wet hair and whispered, "It was good."

"Did you get any shopping done?" he walked up to her and placed his hands on her shoulders, his nose nuzzling in her hair. He could sense the waft of the floral shampoo she used. His eyes searched hers in the mirror. She wasn't able to look up in the mirror. Her gaze lowered, she nodded.

He squeezed her shoulders, "Are you tired? You sound down." His forehead creased.

She felt bad but her lips sealed to utter the real reason for her distress. She lightly shrugged off his hands from her shoulders and then stepped away. It was better to give him what she got him now. It would not only make him happy but also appease her. Lifting the paper bag that was resting on the floor beside the dresser, she bashfully handed it to him, "I got you something." Her eyes still not meeting his.

He stood frozen and stared at her face, "For me?"

She nodded warily, eyelids obscuring to reveal the emotions in her eyes. Taking hold of the bag from her, he took out the content from the bag. A leather branded wallet was in his hands. Slowly his lips stretched in a smile. This was a pleasant surprise. He had no idea that she thought of him while shopping and purchasing such a thoughtful gift.

"It's great." he said hoarsely.

"Ya I thought you can use it all the time." she said in a hushed tone.