Chapter 16: Falling into the rabbit hole

"Alice made her way to the-.. rabbit.. hole, but the- rabbit was n-nowhere to be seen... Where did- the- rabbit go? Did he r-really fall all- the way- down the.. hole that never- seemed to e-end?" She read out loud while I was carefully brushing Demi's hair. I always adored her hair, it was beautiful.

"Alice could.. b-.. ba-re-ly see the.. bottom. She.. l-leaned a- little.. fur-ther. But her- her knee-" She spoke, pronouncing the k in knee. "Knee." I corrected. "Knee.. slipped aw-ay and just as she- feared, she fell all the way- down." She was really getting the hang of it, I was so proud of her. After the day Demi's aunt went to visit, she never came back and never made a phone call or sent a letter. It's been 2 weeks. It was as if she vanished from the earth. And Demi has been doing so great. People taught her that she can laugh about jokes and say things while being around them.

"Good! We'll quit from here." I finished her braid and placed the book on the shelf. She quickly got up and looked at the braid in the mirror with a smile. I saw the books that were on the same shelf in her old room. Only now I realized that she couldn't even read them back then.

"Demi, why did you have books in your old room if you couldn't even read?" I asked. She didn't answer. She looked at the wounds on her face, they were almost gone. She hadn't hurt herself for quite a while. She tapped them carefully and noticed it didn't hurt anymore. She placed both of her hands on her cheeks. She hadn't felt pain on her cheeks and eyebrows for a long time, I could see it on her facial expression. She sunk far away into her thoughts while looking at the wounds and ended up staring. I almost forgot that I asked her a question, but I somehow enjoyed it when I saw her being strayed in her thoughts.

"I'm going to get us a coke, I'll be right back." I smirked. She didn't even reply. I made sure she wasn't seeing things again before leaving. My phone rang as I walked to the staffroom and I picked it up quickly.

"An inmate is trying to reach you. If you want to speak with him or her, please press 1." I heard a monotone voice speaking. Many questions started coming up. Is this the wrong number? Is someone I know in jail? How? I pressed 1 anyways.

"Hello?" I asked before he or she could speak to make sure the inmate was calling the right person.

"Selena? It's your dad speaking.." I heard my dad talking with a guilty tone in his voice. What is dad doing in prison..!?

"Dad!?" I stood still immediately.

"I'm so sorry to scare you like this, honey. They caught me.." He didn't finish his sentence. Anger let my eyes get filled with tears. I felt my heart speeding and my breath increasing. They caught him. I don't know what he did. All I knew is that he went into old habits again, habits that are forbidden for everyone. I started mumbling and stuttering, I didn't even know where I was going with my sentence.

"Calm down. I'm sorry, kiddo." He spoke with a frightened voice. I sighed deeply.

Long story short, he told me that he made contact again with dealers he once dealt with. He got caught when I wanted to take the train to a town nearby. He's in jail for 3 years. 3 fucking years. How could he have done this?

After crying as unnoticeable as I could I walked back to Demi. Like I told you, if I cry, her world would break. I inhaled deeply before I could move on. I dried my tears and stepped inside. I regretted doing that.

"LEAVE." I heard a raspy scream coming from the corner of the room. As soon as my eyes scanned for her I notice the color I didn't want to see. Red. Blood. Her gritted teeth showed me how much it hurt. The lines she was now making. The metal burying in her skin. A small gasp and a yell left her mouth as soon as a tear fell on one of the cuts. Before she could go further, even if it was a tenth of an inch, I snatched the screw out of her hand. A new bed means fresh screws to use. My thoughts were raising and panic started to wash over me. I kneeled down and scanned the cuts. She didn't hit any deadly veins, she didn't go too far, this time. She was still screaming at me.