Chapter 14: That's how I am

"Where are we going?" Demi asked while looking around. I helped her put her seatbelt on and started the car.

"You'll see." I said with a smile. I handed her a few CDs she might like. She thoroughly studied the covers and gave one back after a while. REM. Of course. I helped her place the CD in the slide and pressed play. I rode slowly until we reached the highway, I didn't even realize I increased speed until Demi showed she didn't like it. She looked back and forth and replaced herself on the chair, just like in the bus on our way to the city.

"Demi, relax." I told her. She sighed deeply and bit her lower lip.

"But, where are we going?" She asked again.

"It's a surprise, don't worry."

"Are we going to another interview again?" She asked. It surprised me she asked that whenever I told her we were about to do something exciting. Is that the only exciting thing she had done in fourteen years? Or did she specifically not like the interview and did she resent the person who told her it was going to be fun? She didn't even know if this trip was going to be fun. Even I didn't know.

"No, and that's the last question I'm answering about where we're heading to." I grinned. She squeaked when she tried to hold back another question. It made me laugh.

"Just trust me. It'll be fine." I assured. Yet I lied. I didn't know if it was fine at all when she was going to see her formal house. The day totally depended on her. We drove back to another city as I headed off to her house. She looked out of the window as her jaw dropped.

"I know that playground.." She said as her eyes followed the area passing by. She looked back to her front as she hadn't closed her mouth yet. I drove into her street while my eyes pointed at her whenever I could, to make sure she remained calm. She looked up to the large trees and thoroughly viewed the houses passing by. I parked the car in front of the right house. It was large and beautiful. How could two alcoholics neglect their daughter in a house like this? I actually pictured an old apartment or something, but this was a big house made of wood. The walls were painted light blue and the windows were white. I quickly looked back at Demi, who had clenched her hands around whatever was in reach. I couldn't see her face, but her stammering breath told me she sobbed a little. She sat there stiffened, looking at the house she was born in – as the documents had told. She made the best but also the worst memories here. I loosened her seatbelt, stepped out of the car and opened the door for her to step out. I had never seen her so tensed, ever. Her eyes were filled up with tears and she stood up with her shoulders tensed and her hands knitted together.

"Wh.." She started. She tried her very best to hold her tears back. I moved her forwards to close the door of the car. "Why d-did you take me here...?" She asked.

"Because I want you to learn to understand what time did to the locations of your past." I answered. I placed my hand on her back and took her to the front door. The man I called yesterday opened the door after I ringed the doorbell.

"Hello there! You must be Selena, nice to meet you. My name is Tyler." He said while shaking my hand. I looked at Demi, a facial expression of compassion darted to him as he saw her tears and wounded face and arms. "And you must be Demi. Woah, I'm so glad to finally see you in real life. I've heard a lot about you, you know?" He went on and stepped backward to tell us we should come inside. Demi stepped inside after me and frowned at the wallpapers and paintings, probably realizing those were not there when she lived here. It seemed to calm her down somehow. We walked into the living room and Tyler asked us for drinks. Demi looked around, a tear finally slid down her cheek. Tyler handed us the drinks. We sat down on the couch.