Chapter 10: The only one who can tell

I quickly grabbed the plate from the ground and gave it back to Demi. She still looked wide-eyed at the boy.

"This, uh, this is Demi. I'm Selena, her caregiver and yes, she's from the primary department. She's fine, just a bit nervous, how are you?" I quickly spoke for her. The boy laughed and shook my hand. Demi looked at me as I made her more comfortable in the situation. She followed and shook the guy's hand as well.

"Great! My name is Luca. I'm in the secondary department because I suffer from a small form of Acute Stress Disorder." He said. I nodded with a smile.

"And why is the lady here?" Luca asked Demi. Demi looked down.

"I uh.. I will join the se-secondary department soon." She said shyly. Luca raised his eyebrows and nodded.

"Nice! You should come sit with us, over there." He pointed at a table full of boys and girls who actually looked very regular.

"Sure, we'll love that, right Demi?" I said. She nodded as she started blushing. She really did want to make friends.

"Uh.. actually we kind of have the rule not to bring any caregivers with us." Luca said guiltily. Oh. Was Demi able to be alone with those new people?

"Uh, oh. Sure. Do you want to go there without me?" I asked. Demi bit her lower lip and looked back at the table. She softly nodded. I understood completely.

"Sweet! Come." The boy knew he couldn't randomly touch her, so before he grabbed her shoulders from behind, he quickly changed his mind and withdrew. Okay, yes, he was a sweet guy. Demi followed Luca to the table, as the others greeted her friendly. I quickly took my plate to a bar table and stood against it. I had eaten alone here before, it wasn't a problem to me. My biggest concern was how Demi would handle this nerve-wracking situation. I watched her like an eagle peeking at a field mouse. She shyly sat down without saying anything.

"How is it going?" Kris sneaked up behind me. I looked at her for a second and then looked back at the table.

"She's alone with these guys."

"Wow! Well that's what I call progress!" Kris almost yelled. I started nervously scratching the back of my ear.

"What if she loses her shit again?" I asked.

"You got this, silly. If she snaps, you can come in action." Kris said while looking at Demi with me. I sighed.

"What's wrong?" Kris read my thoughts immediately.

"Oh, nothing. It's just.. I had kind of hoped this would be a morning for the two of us." I said, hoping she wouldn't notice we kind of love each other. Or.. that we were in a relationship. Were we? We never actually made it official. Whatever.

"Well, I think Demi making friends is more important than you two making your bond stronger than it is already." She said and winked. That flattered me.

"You think our bond is strong?" I asked.

"Girl, every caregiver in this building is talking about it. Ever since you are the only one to ever have stopped her from a tantrum by just standing in her view, people really appreciate you two together. Some even think you guys have something going on.." She laughed. I grinned fakely. Oh shit, there are rumors. Did Grace tell about us sleeping together? That could cost me my job. I suddenly had my eyes back on Demi, when I saw her back bouncing back and forth nervously. She rubbed her hands as her breath accelerated a little. When one of the guys asked her something she quickly avoided eye contact and turned her head to the other side.