Chapter 15: The extinguishing sun

There was a perfect straight little line that separated the sky and the sea, and as the sun went down, it slowly swallowed the orb inch by inch, until the big hot globe disappeared completely. The sea was like a mirror on which the painted sky got reflected. The colors of every cloud and every inch of the atmosphere was affected by the sinking sun. As if it was about to be extinguished, the sun sank into the ocean. Waves seemed to crash against the shore, yet it only created a layer of calming foam. The sand was still warm from when the big fireball was hanging higher in the sky. Now, stars slowly appeared and the moon became brighter by the second. I heard nothing more than the screaming seagulls and the noise of the endless sea ending against the sand. I just sat there kneeled. I felt my body cooling down and the sand between my toes. My warm dress fell over my knees and legs and my arms were bare, kissed by the now vanishing sun and leaving a brown shade behind. My hair was puffy from the soft wind that kept greeting me. My fingers are braided into the sand, drawing small hills. I can see another drop of water falling into the skirt of my dress, looking like a crystal and then leaving a darker color than the fabric behind. The sky was clear, there were no rainy clouds and no raindrop was able to reach the ground all day. Yet the drops kept falling onto my dress for I am crying on my own. My feelings are not to be discussed. There is no emotion that can describe how I feel. I feel the absence of people who would accept me. People are against something they don't understand, yet I have to feel the pain for it. I'd rather not call it suffering for I know you choose to suffer, it is a choice you make. Having pain is inevitable. I felt like I was going to be alone forever, having to face the heads of people turning against me all day. All for one label. Lesbian.

My finger presses the plain doorbell inside the dark areas of the city. I could hear dogs barking and cars beeping. It was crowded in here, yet there was no person to be seen. It smelled like evaporating garbage sacks. Demi was at the psychiatric hospital, taking a nap in her bed. I had to be fast, she might miss me if I didn't come back in time. I ringed for the second time, hoping anyone was home. The dogs I heard were now audible on the other side of the door. Through the blurred glass, I can see an appearance opening up the door. A cloud of a nasty smell, containing smoke and perfume, flew in my face. I tried my very best not to couch or let my eyes fill with tears. A woman with wrinkles all over her face and thin blond hair stood in front of me. I reached my hand out and spoke.

"Good midday, miss. My name is Selena Gomez, I am Demi Lovato's girlf- caregiver. I assume you are Demi's aunt?" I asked. She scanned me from head to toe and gave me a frown. She didn't give me a hand and so I withdrew mine again.

"Yes, I'm her aunt and surrogate. What do you need?" She said with a confused tone in her voice. Suddenly a small infant stood beside the woman and the woman started to yell angry words to him. She then picked him up and held him while she went on talking. She was Latina, I did not expect that.

"I have been Demi's caregiver for a while now and she made so much progress that she's able to move in.. with... me." My voice became softer and softer while speaking. I almost forgot about the fact that this was the woman who tried to visit Demi now and then in the beginning. Demi had been screaming at her. Demi behaved like a monster around her. I hoped she would believe me.

"Move in with you? As in move into your house?" She sounded concerned. Shit.

"Yes... Uhm, Demi and I have an actual relationship. We kind of fell in love with each other." I said with a fake smile. I could see the face of the woman getting angrier and angrier. She was against homosexuality, I could tell already.