Chapter Thirty-Nine

Start from the beginning

Ben doubled over against the metal door, groaning with a hand to his head. Adam quickly grabbed the collar of the man's shirt and began to drag Ben away as the older man was shaking his head, and through tears mumbled, "Nathan... we have to... we have to get Nathan!"

The weight he had to carry was burning Adam's thighs, but his determination to keep his word to his friend was pushing him along. He grunted, looking back at the man still moaning out tearful pleas in the direction of the factory. 

Adam whipped his head forward just as Rory came over once the two had reached a good distance. He bent, using his good arm, to help Ben up and nodded at the young man that he could take hold of Ben on his own. 

Adam nodded back, his shoulders slumped down. He frowned at the pavement, swallowing hard at what was going to be branded in his mind for the rest of his life. He feared that damn noise that was soon to come. At this same time that he was off in his own mind, another brunette had already jumped out of the Bronco and scanned the men in front of her.

Mara noticed there was one missing. She frowned, turning to the blue eyed man lifting his wide eyes at her.

"Where is he? Where's Henry?" 

The moment Adam opened his mouth, stuttering, "Mara..." and started to shake his head, her eyes widened. Her vision switched to the building and her heart pounded rapidly in her chest. She didn't even hesitate to run towards it.

With her sudden take off, Adam escaped his blank stare and whipped around just as Mara passed him by; wrapping his arm around her waist. Mara screamed; demanding Adam let her go. She used her arms to push against his stronger hold, shouting that she had to go. 

"You have to let me go! Let me go, Adam! I have to go to him!"

He shook his head and tightened his grip. Adam knew Nathan wouldn't want Mara anywhere near that building and he had given his word to keep her safe. "I can't do that, Mara! I can't! I'm sorry!" 

"Please!" she screeched, her eyes locked on the building. Mara looked back at him, crying, "Please, I have to go to him! Henry!"

The next moment, Adam's eyes shut, his teeth gritting with his head turned away against her back when there was a loud, massive explosion. Mara's scream of Nathan's name was tuned out from the continuous explosions from the building; the sky filling with the fiery color of the flames.

"Nooo!" Mara gasped, shaking her head as she was still looking at the faltering building. 

She wanted for Nathan to come out of the building from the side, where he made it just in time before the explosives went off. Where he would hold her to him and kiss away her worries that he was okay; that they would be okay.

Adam was quietly trying to ease Mara, pressing his cheek against her head, biting down to control his own tears from breaking through their barrier. 

"Shh. Mara, shh..." was his weak attempt to ease them both, knowing it would do nothing.

Mara closed her eyes, shaking her head as she leaned back against his chest, gripping his forearm that still draped across her chest. If he hadn't been holding her, she would have crumpled to the floor and never got up again. Eventually, she and Adam stumbled to the ground; him lowering to his knees, unable to stand anymore and he held Mara tightly to him for his own comfort.

Mara sobbed, gasping breaths, and finding it harder to breathe more than ever. The sparked blaze reflected in her teary blue eye, and her heart was crumbling; burning into ash. Everything was so painful. Nothing would be able to take away this emptiness in her chest that was swallowing her up.