Chapter Eleven

Rory glanced at Mara as she was lying on the small couch with her legs hanging over the edge and her head resting on the opposite arm. She was, as usual, drawing in her sketchbook. She stared intently at the page she was on; the pencil quivering in increments in her hand as it made its way around the page.

Rory looked back to folding his clothes and jogged his brain with trying to think of something to say. He had tried to keep himself occupied from just staring at Mara. If he could, he'd just sit in front of her and listen to her talk all day long. Just so he could look at her with all the love he wanted to give her.

He settled on taking out all of his clothing onto the still made bed and started reorganizing everything back into his suitcase. He tried not to break his concentration but Mara's voice broke through it anyway.

"Rory?"

The blonde lowered the red button down in his hands, turning his head to see that Mara had stopped drawing and had pushed herself up to now sit with her legs tucked beside her. With the sketchbook on her lap, her fingers lightly running along the top edge back and forth, she pouted.

Rory dropped the clothing he had in his hand and went over to her.

"Are you alright?"

Mara's frown deepened and she bit her lip, trying to string her words together. "

Well..."

Rory raised his brows and tilted his head, "Mara...? What is it?

Her shoulders dropped in a tired sigh, shaking her head with a wrinkled nose, "Oh forget it. It's just silly!"

Rory smiled, reflecting her head shake. He leaned closer, placing a hand on hers.

"You know that is not true. So, come on... Out with it."

Mara smiled, glancing down at the book in her hands. She ran her hand over its cover, taking a deep breath and gave a small nod from his encouragement. 

"Right... Okay, then." 

But the frown returned and her head lifted to stare off in front of them. Her mouth pursed to the side, lowering a brow.

She coyly raised her shoulders, turning her head a bit to squint her eyes at her friend.

"Do I come off as... I dunno... pretty?"

Rory gave her a quizzical look, sitting back and pulled his hand off hers to scratch his thumb at a brow. He glanced off to the side before raising a brow, "What do you mean?"

Mara grimaced, feeling so silly and childish for asking such a question. And to Rory of all people.

He was her best friend, and though Mara spoke to him about everything and anything, this was different. This was a topic neither ever brought up because it wasn't of any interest. She knew she was a late bloomer, but it was still awkward to talk about this. She would have spoken to Jane, but her cousin was across the way with her protectors.

Mara cleared her throat, shifting herself to face Rory who had continued to wear his quizzical frown up until now. 

"I mean..." she started, then paused to frown, "Well..." 

Pursing her mouth to the side, she decided she best just get it out. Lifting her head, her blue eyes stared hopeful and explained that she was asking where she would stand in the 'Attraction' category, if at all.

Rory stared at her, no word uttered from him. It pained him to hear the doubt in her tone that she didn't find herself attractive. Of course she was attractive to him. He was in love with her, wasn't he? Ever since the moment he met her did Rory's unrequited love for Mara Hallden start blooming.