Chapter Fifteen

Jane frowned.

She was supposed to have already have Nathan half in love with her by now. But instead, he wasn't even close. Not even a little. He was currently playing the mouse in a "cat and mouse" game and Mara had to join in too.

Jane pouted.

It should have been her that had been with Nathan.

After all, he had to fall in love with her!

She sat in the hotel room, scowling at the three men. They were sitting at the table playing cards and eating Doritos. Jane folded her arms and wondered when the other two would return.

Because Jane knew-- knew-- that Nathan being alone with Mara, meant Nathan would soon be under Mara's spell and then all hope of Jane finding another handsome and perfect man such as Nathan was zero.

She'd have to settle for Adam.

Jane glanced at Adam stuffing his mouth with more chips and she cringed. No. He certainly wasn't Nathan.

But when he did return, and if he was under Mara's spell, Jane would make sure to have the anitdote for that.

It was the only way to make sure that Mara did not make any mistakes during this role-playing they were doing.

Besides, Mara couldn't handle all of Nathan. He was the type of man Jane usually had. She was the one that attracted men like Nathan all the time. But with Mara around... that would mean Jane would have to either give up on him or play dirty against her cousin.

And Jane was not one to give up her men so easily.

☙ღ❧

Nathan rolled his eyes and shook his head, "No. It would take me another two days to get to where you guys are at this point."

He looked over his shoulder at Mara sitting in the car eating a jalapeño burger from a Carl's they passed by twenty minutes ago. She was bobbing to whatever song was on the radio and looking at her burger in her tiny hands. She even mouthed some of the words to the burger.

Nathan grinned when she leaned her head back a little and closed her eyes tightly, holding a long note.

"Nate, are you listening?"

He stopped his chuckling and raised his brows, "Huh?"

Ben sounded slightly irritated, "Nate. This is serious. If we wait for you here, we'd only be running into more trouble. I can promise you that if we get to Kansas, then we'd have a safe bet of meeting up again. But not now. Not while those guys are still in the area."

Nathan nodded, his seriousness returning. "Yeah. Yeah i know."

"How she doing?" his friend asked, quietly.

Nathan turned around to look at Mara again. She was mouthing words to a new song that had a rap part considering how quickly her mouth was moving, and she was dancing along to it, making funny faces at pauses it had.

He kept his eyes on her as he replied into the phone, "She's good. Just being... Mara."

From the other line, Ben grinned and raised a brow, "Oh really? She's tormenting you that much?"

Nathan chuckled, and Ben knew that chuckle anywhere.

When the young man replied, "Not exactly. More the other way around."