Chapter Twelve

Nathan groaned, "Fuck!"

Where the hell did she go?

Nathan could see that she had untied herself from the abandoned cords in her place, but God knows where she took off to.

Adam walked up next to him and looked around, frowning, "I thought you had Mara."

"I did! She was right here! I told her--- I told her to stay right here! She never listens!" Nathan walked away from his friend, pointing for Adam to go down one side of the lot as the former made took the opposite direction.

"Mara! Mara, where are you?!"

He kept looking under the cars to see if she'd hidden under them, or maybe behind the dumpsters. But no sign of Mara. As he kept walking and scanning the lot, Nathan kept wondering why the hell she'd take off like that after he'd told her to stay where he'd left her..

He jumped backwards in surprise when Mara bumped into him out of breath and still in her state of panic.

Nathan's eyes widened, standing in front of her and cupped his hands around her face. He shook his head, "Mara! Why did you take off like that?! I told you to stay put!" Her wide eyes searched frantically around her, gripping tightly to his sleeves and stepped closer to him.

Mara swallowed hard, still breathing hard as she looked up at him and realized who was with her. She blinked a few times before she wrapped her arms around him tightly. Her brown curls shook as her head did and she whimpered, "Don't let them get me... please don't let them get me... please..."

Nathan felt her whole body shaking against him and immediately enveloped her into his arms.

His eyes glanced around in the space over her head, not knowing what to do for the first time in his life. Mara made him completely forget to be the soldier he was, and whether he wanted to or not... she probably would not stop having this effect on him.

Adam appeared a few minutes later, slowing down from his jog and Nathan looked over his shoulder and nodded, "She's fine. She's just---just scared." His friend sighed in relief, his facial expression losing its worry. He started walking backwards, jabbing his thumb over his shoulder.

"I'm going to let Ben know she's alright. He went back to check on Jane and Rory."

Nathan didn't answer.

He was too busy trying to stop Mara from shaking so badly. He could feel her fingers digging into his back. His chin lowered on top of her head, closing his eyes and letting his heart beat return to its normal pace.

"Mara..."

He tried to speak as softly as he could. She didn't respond.

Obviously she wasn't going to hear him just yet with her still in shock, so Nathan just sighed, resting his cheek on the top of her head.

They stood there, Nathan wasn't sure how long, but eventually, Mara pulled her head back and looked up at Nathan. He stared down at her and took in the small cuts on her face. He could already tell where she was going to be bruised.

He tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear, lowering his head to her level. He shook his head, softening his tone to keep her calm.

"Those men are not going to get you okay? They made a mistake. They got the wrong person. They were after Jane, not you." He tried to give her a small smile, "Okay? You are going to be safe."

He didn't miss the way Mara's face suddenly darkened, her sapphire eyes blazed with fury before she pushed away from him.

Nathan took a step back, confused, but the small brunette obviously wasn't. She was on a rampage and the man in front of her was in the firing range.