Chapter Thirty-Six

'What was it about this girl that made every man seem to fall at her feet?' Anna pondered, tilting her head curiously as she was standing off to the side with her arms crossed firmly over her chest.

As her boss was pacing in cocky strut in front of the three men kneeled in front of him with their arms bound behind them, the female assassin was observing the small brunette with her hands clamped to her sides by one of the men Anna worked with.

The last time she had confronted the heiress and her bodyguard, the girl had the same frightened, wide-eyed look on her face. Anna scowled at the thought of how that worried look on the girl would only cause wrinkles, but her thoughts immediately returned to her previous one.

Anna's grey eyes travelled to the handsome soldier in the middle of the two older men. His jaw was in a tight set, and his green eyes continued to look up at her boss with a lethal glare.

Frowning, Anna narrowed her eyes, thinking to herself, 'The heiress may perhaps be a little pretty, sure, but not enough to handle all of HIM.' 

When she looked back at the shaky female again, Anna wondered if it was because this girl was so pathetically incapable of defending herself; constantly becoming a damsel in distress so that her military knight would have to come rescue her, maybe that was what was attractive to this man.

Anna rolled her eyes.

That man needed to sort out his priorities. And even though she found that part of him undesirable, the rest of him was clearly not. When she had first seen the lovers at the diner, it was hard to believe Hallden would have hired such a remarkably gorgeous man to protect his daughter.

Men that looked like him should never be trusted with a woman. Especially not an isolated one as the heiress.

Anna looked up, pulling her shoulders back with her arms still crossed when Travosky turned to her. He had his brows raised and his head leaning forward.

She frowned, lifting a brow to counter the look he was giving her.  "What?"

Travosky straightened, along with his expression, and pulled his hands behind his back in his usual business like posture. It was only obvious as to why she'd ask 'what'. And the jealousy in the pit of his stomach warmed it completely.

Looking at Anna, he raised his brows, and voiced back with a snapped, "Well, it's certainly no surprise that you, too would be buckling at the knees when a fresh piece of meat is thrown in your bowl."

He saw the usual barrier she had falter, but only for a moment.

Anna rolled her eyes, leaning her hip out to the side, "What are you talking about?"

Travosky stared a little longer before he paced slowly in a circle, flicking his hand at different points in his sentences. 

"Here I am... trying to get what is rightfully mine, where I have the very man who turned my life to shit the moment he backed out of our deal," he stopped after waving a hand at Hallden, then looked directly at Anna. "And here you are gazing at the man who had knocked you unconscious when you had one simple job to do."

Anna's teeth gritted, feeling her cheekbones fill with heat. She narrowed her eyes pointing at Travosky and shook her head, "I was doing my job." 

She snarled in Mara's direction when she added, "But the princess here had to make everything difficult. If he wasn't holding her hand then she'd bump into walls!"

The blonde man roared back, snapping Anna's attention back to him, as well as making some of the others jump. 

"PERHAPS IF YOU WEREN'T ALWAYS IN HEAT WHEN A PRETTY FACE COMES ALONG, I WOULDN'T HAVE HAD TO WAIT SO DAMN LONG FOR WHAT IS MINE!"