Chapter Thirty-Seven

Travosky had never been intimidated before, nor was he really now, but a slight part of him panicked at the glare in the young man's eyes.

Doubting that the body guard wouldn't pull the trigger was stupid because Travosky knew that he would. It was heard in his voice when he ordered those four words at the blonde man.

The young man hadn't really spoken a word up until now, and just seconds ago, he had killed off five of his men right in front of Travosky. It didn't take long to put two and two together that this was the man who eliminated the other twenty-four men Travosky previously had.

Travosky lifted his head back, keeping his eyes on Nathan, and grinned with a scoff. 

"Impressive..."

Nathan felt his hand squeeze tighter to the gun, trying to keep his cool, but unless the man stepped away from Mara... that was unlikely. And so he repeated, with a brow raised this time, "Back. Away. Now.

His eyes narrowed, and the lowered tone in his voice added to his warning, "You'll find that I don't like to repeat myself."

As instructed, Travosky lifted his hands upward, palms out, and stepped back until he faced Nathan's direction. Without tearing his gaze, Nathan instructed Mara to untie her father and Ben. Mara glanced at the other men and Anna who were waiting for their instructions.

Travosky huffed under his breath, glaring at Nathan.

"Don't worry, darling, they won't touch your precious hero."

His eyes were burning holes into the young man, who raised his voice at the frozen footed brunette, "Mara! Untie them!"

She quickly jumped out of the fright her feet stilled in before and went over tugging at the rope around Ben's wrists. Mara frowned, unable to undo the tight knots but then noticed the small pocket knife lying by one of the dead men. She picked it up, cutting away at the rope until Ben pulled his wrists free. She was untying her father's bindings, when Ben joined Nathan by his side with another gun lying on the ground nearby.

With his gun was directed at the other remaining goons, Ben smirked, noticing how all of them were swallowing and small beads of sweat started to form at their brow. With the exception of Anna of course, Ben could tell this woman wasn't very afraid, nor intimidated, by many things and this wasn't one of them.

He spoke to Nathan without breaking from his stance, "Now what?"

Nathan sighed heavily, "I've no fuckin' idea..."

Ben grinned, almost chuckling, but sighed, "Well shit, Nate! What are the odds of getting out of here alive without that brain of yours thinking of nothing, but Mara?"

It probably wasn't the best time to poke fun, but it was easier to do so in order to keep calm--- and help them to think.

Mara didn't think it was the most appropriate time either, but she felt the blush on her face anyway. She looked at Nathan while she held onto her father's arm, wondering how Nathan was going to get them out alive without him trying to play hero again. She knew he was skilled in combat, but there wasn't much he could do if Travosky ordered them to be shot right then and there. The very thought made her swallow hard.

Anna was getting impatient with the delay of this pointless standoff.

To get things started, the female assassin took a shot at Ben with an angle that barely grazed his arm, but was enough to make the old man bend away to hold onto it. Nathan had pivoted the gun to shoot back, but when the bullet was released, Anna had timed it perfectly. She dodged it, kicking one of the men by her in front of it instead.