Chapter Three

It would have been a fabulous idea of not having both earbuds in her ears. Doing so put her guard down but because she hated silence, Mara was caught in a bad situation. Either way, her breathing was caught in her throat the moment arms wrapped around her. One had pinned her arms to her waist as the other successfully trapped her mouth underneath it.

Her eyes widened and felt her heart beat quicken.'I'm going to die... I'm going die! I just know it!' was all she was thinking.

But the voice that spoke softly to her made Mara frown. "Please. I don't want any trouble."

Mara blinked hard. 'Oh, of course not! Scaring the wits of unaware women and immobilizing them is not asking for trouble. How silly of me to think otherwise!'

She felt a grin in the voice when he said, "Although... you look like you could get me into some trouble."

It was clear he was observing the female in his arms and Mara was not going to have any of that!

With a quick nip, the hand retreated and she managed to struggle free but only for a moment before she was tackled to the floor. This brute knocked the wind out of her, landing on her so roughly. The same hand covered her mouth again, more careful, however, to not let her bite him again.

"Look! I don't want any trouble! I swear!" It was still in a soft tone, but a little more irritated and harsh.

'Good,' she thought. She was glad she was making this difficult for him.

"I just want to know about her."

Mara blinked, confused at who he was referring to but then she lifted up her eyes and could see her cousin sitting a good yard away on a stone bench in the middle of the gazebo. She had headphones on and was lying on her stomach over a blanket and flipping through a magazine from the tall pile sitting on the cement floor underneath her.

Mara's brainless cousin was still in the same position and couldn't see how Mara was trapped underneath a large man that could have been a murderer for all she knew.

The voice sighed, "I really need to know about her. The Heiress."

Mara relaxed a little, sulking her shoulders and rolling her eyes.

'Of course this man would think Jane was the Heiress,' she mentally spat.

Jane's long red hair was tightly braided down her backside and her pale, unblemished skin was due to lack of sun, and those long eyelashes covered her just-as-equally beautiful violet eyes. The red-head was simply perfect and Mara's appearance was nothing to her in comparison.

"Alright... I'm going to let you up. But please don't make this harder than it has to be, alright?"

Mara nodded. The hand slowly retreated and the heavy body was lifted off her---sort of. She turned her body halfway around; the other half still trapped underneath him in case she ran which was smart, considering she would have done so. 

Mara looked up, frowning at the man who handled her so roughly.

Nathan raised a brow staring down at the woman underneath him. She was simple-looking compared to the redhead down the way but had certain features that made him stare at her longer. Her chest heaved heavily in the blue spaghetti top; a silver chain sunk in between the crevice of her breasts. She had dark blue eyes, resembling sapphires, glared up at him underneath chocolate colored bangs. 

Her cheeks were flushed and her jaw tightened as he simply stared, saying nothing.

"Well, what is it you want to know? Or are you going to just stare at me the whole time?"