Chapter Thirty-Two

Start from the beginning

"That was the last time I saw Mara," Hallden choked before looking down.

Ben felt bad for the man. He was a major douche, true, but the father just found out his child was missing. And Ben knew he'd be feeling the same way had he found out about any of his children being taken from him.

He walked over to clamp a hand on Hallden's shoulder, who slowly peered up through tear-filled eyes. "It's going to be alright..." Ben didn't know what else to say that would comfort the father. It seemed enough since Hallden thanked him through a shaky sigh.

Standing a few feet from the father, Nathan glared at Hallden. He wasn't about to feel bad for the man who made others feel so lost and hurt. He deserved some misery. If only, Nathan reasoned, it would have been under different circumstances.

"Why was Mara getting in a car in the first place?"

He waited with a frown as Hallden sipped from the cup of water Jane had given her uncle when Lily passed it to her. The defeated father swallowed down the large gulp he took then looked up at Nathan. He lowered his brows, confused, and stumbled with his words.

"She was coming to see you."

That familiar pang in Nathan's chest returned. And now his head was swimming.

Mara was coming to see him?

Nathan dropped his arms to his sides, straightening to his full height and the frown on his face deepened. "Me...? Why?"

Hallden glanced at the others then at Jane who nodded silently with a hand resting on his shoulder. He faced Nathan to repeat the conversation Edward had with him on the phone, about the final conversation Mara's husband had with her.

"Edward was in love with my daughter. He had given her everything she could possibly want, but he expressed that he didn't feel like Mara loved him in the same way. He even mentioned that he could see how sad she was when they..." Hallden travelled off, his blue eyes glancing up and catching the tightening of the green eyed man's jaw.

Shaking his head, Hallden skipped ahead that uncomfortable minor detail.

"Edward said that he wanted for Mara to be happy... but that being with him wasn't justifying that. The day he called for the service car, Mara was supposed to come here and Edward hoped you'd see her, because as much as she cared for him, Mara admitted to still being in love with you, and only you."

It was like this bastard was trying to cut Nathan's heart out.

Nathan ran his fingers through his hair and turned away, shutting his eyes tightly. He moved away from the group, his back to them. His heart was racing, trying to let the fact that Mara had been on her way to see him, and had been unprotected the entire time.

Ben looked down at the father, knowing well enough that they couldn't deny helping to get Mara back. He'd do anything for that young girl who brought new light to the Henry's, especially to Nathan.

"We can help, Mr. Hallden." Ben nodded, lowering to the man's level by sitting on the coffee table behind him. "We'll get your daughter back."

Hallden's tearful eyes widened, his Adam's Apple bobbing up and down.

"You... you promise?"

Nathan's eyes snapped open at the man's words. His hands dropped from his face, his green eyes staring off in front of him with his brows furrowed when suddenly thrown back to all those moments with Mara and the only way he'd be able to comfort her every single time.

"I'm coming back for you, Mara."

 "Promise?"

"I promise."

He didn't have time to talk or think anymore.

Nathan spun around, jumped over the coffee table Ben whipped around from to gawk as the young man ran over and threw open the door. Ben jumped up, holding up a hand at Hallden who was looking around worriedly, and then rushed out to follow Nathan. Adam was right behind him.

"Nate! Keep your head about this! Where are you even going?"

Nathan halted in the middle of the hallway, his back muscles taut, then turned around with a frown as he stared at his older friend.

"I'm going after her, Ben. I can't lose her. Not again."

Ben grabbed hold of Nathan's sleeve and shook his head, "Nate, we don't even know who took her, or where to start! We won't be able to find her until we do."

Pulling his arm away, Nathan started backing towards the stairs by the elevator and narrowed his eyes, his face full of determination.

"Watch me." Then he made a beeline down the staircase.

Ben ran his hand over his head, staring at the empty hallway and turned to Adam, who had been standing beside him with his arms crossed. He raised a brow, eyes half-lidded for a few more seconds then nodded, "I'll get the keys." as he returned back into the apartment.

Nathan's jaw tightened and his mind was only on bringing Mara home. And he was going to get her back, even if it killed him he was going to get her back safely. And perhaps have it out with her husband, but that wasn't set in stone yet.

As he reached the bottom of the stairs, the elevator beside them pinged and when the doors opened, Ben, Adam, Rory and Hallden were standing there.

Nathan blinked, his face now frowning as he looked at each of the four men.

"The hell you think you guys are going?" he demanded as they piled out of the small compartment. Nathan narrowed his eyes, glaring at each one until one decided to finally speak up.

"You didn't really think that we were going to let you go alone with your head up in cloud nine, did you?" his older friend teased, a small smirk tugging at his lips. Nathan tilted his head slightly and gave him a look. He looked at Adam when the brunette smiled, chuckling, with his arms crossed over his chest.

"Yeah, Nate. Besides," his brow rose, glancing at a half-smiling, half-worried Rory beside him. Adam sniffed, "Who else is going to back you up when Mara kicks your ass for not rescuing her sooner?"

Nathan rolled his eyes and spun around, heading to the parking lot and all he kept thinking on his way to the Bronco was, 'Hold on for me, Mara.'