I snapped out of my thoughts and noticed we had stopped.  I could have ran a while longer.  I wanted to.  It felt nice to get out and stretch my legs, compared to being in that stuffy castle this was heaven.  If vampires go to heaven that is.  No one knows what happens to vampires when we die.  Do our souls go the heaven?  Do we even have souls?  Like I said, no one knows, it remains a mystery to us all.

I followed James over to Alyssa who was standing all alone looking a little confused and even a tad bit nervous.  We stood behind her as we waited for everyone to file out of the carriage.  I could smell the putrid stench from the barn all the way from here. 

I fell into step alongside James as we followed the group up the dirt road to the front door.

“Do you know where we are?” Alyssa asked her voice barely a whisper, knowing with our enhanced hearing James and I would hear her as if it was like she was yelling.

James and I shared a knowing look before he shrugged at her.

She frowned, probably knew we weren’t telling her something.  I wonder how she would react when she did find out.  I’m not good at guessing her reactions, so I didn’t even try.

We made it to the door and were greeted by the glum face of a slave.

“My master is expecting you.  Go down the hall and through the door on the right.” The slave told us, holding the door open as we filed in uncertainly.

We walked into a beautifully decorated dining hall and were greeted by the family themselves.  They rose from the seats and bowed respectfully as the king, queen, and Alyssa walked in.

My old master got up and shook hands with Alyssa’s father acting like they were old friends.  From the look the king gave him they weren’t.  He turned to the queen and did a slight bow.

“My queen.” He said and she nodded.

Lastly he turned to Alyssa and grabbed her outstretched hand.  He planted a light kiss on the top before pulling away.  Alyssa looked like she had no idea who this man was, but he sure did know her, everyone did.

“Princess Alyssa, it is nice to finally meet you.  You are even more beautiful than they say.” He told her

“Thanks it is a pleasure to meet you too, and come to you lovely home.” She responded confidently, all trace of earlier nervousness gone.

“My name is Alan.  This is my wife Elizabeth,” he said pointing to a lady wearing a horrid yellow lacy dress with way to much makeup on.   She had narrow eyes and a fake smile plastered on her lips.  “My daughter Ava, and my son Tyler.”  He said pointing to a girl and boy.  Ava looked like she was 16, but she wore so much makeup like her mother I wouldn’t be able to tell you for certain.  She was a petite girl with short brown curls that came to her shoulders.  She was wearing a red hideous dress that made you wonder where in the world did this family shop.  It was almost like her mother’s except for a giant flower that rested on her hip looking a little bit out of place.  Finally, the young boy that was about nine looked like he wanted to be anywhere but here.  He had blonde hair that was so blonde it was almost white and bright attentive blue eyes.  He also had chubby cheeks that resembled a chipmunk who had just stuffed his cheeks with nuts.  He was pretty tall for nine year old though I’ll give him that.