31. Family

Previously...
I know he wants a family, and he wants to keep this baby. I mean, I'm not sure if I'm ready to keep it completely. Giving it up for adoption would probably give him or her a better life than with me when I can't even take care of myself. But I guess it's just baby steps for now.

***

Finn's POV
It's a new day and once again I'm with Rachel in her hospital room. She's eaten some cereal this morning which the doctor brought for her, and there's a glass of water half full on the table next to her. I'm getting so worried about her and this baby that I'm resulting to keeping track of what she's eating and always making sure she's doing alright. The doctors haven't said anything about the baby yet, but like Rachel's told me they probably can't tell yet.
Hopefully she'll be coming home soon. The swelling on her legs is going down and I'm hoping that she'll be able to walk or at least stand up in the next couple of days. Her left arm is still in the cast; the doctor said it should heal within the next 3 or 4 weeks. But overall everything's looking good, and she's getting better. That's all I want, even if it takes a lot of time.

Rachel's POV
Finn's sat next to my bed in the chair again, and we're just talking normally. I'm hoping he hasn't missed many classes coming to see me, although when I've asked him about it he's told me "I've got it sorted." so I'm hoping his teachers know he's come to see me and they don't think he's skipping classes. While me and Finn are alone together, since Santana is coming later, I decide that I might as well bring up my thoughts on the baby.
"Finn," I start and he smiles at me ready to listen. "I've been thinking... about the baby."
He sits up a little more. "What's up?"
"Well, there are some women in the world who can't have their own children. And, well, obviously I can."
He frowns at me, confused. "That's a good thing, babe."
"No, no I know that. What I mean is that I shouldn't take it for granted. And getting rid of this baby would be doing that."
I see him smile slightly. "So, you mean... we're keeping it?"
I shake my head. "Sort of. I'm gonna go through with the pregnancy. But I want to give the baby up for adoption." I bite my lip waiting for Finn to answer. He looks down slightly like he's thinking, and then back up at me.
"You know how much I love you, and I'll always support you. So if you think this would be best then it's your body and your choice to make." He smiles. "I'm just glad you're going to have it. Keeping it I know is a whole other choice to make, a big one."
I smile at him and hold out my hand for him to come closer and hug me. He does and I hug him as tight as I can. "I love you." I kiss his cheek gently as he pulls away.
"I love you too." He smiles and sits back down. "So, you with a baby bump. That's cute."
I laugh. "I'll look fat. I'm not looking forward to that part."
"Yeah but you won't actually be fat. You'll just be pregnant."
"I'll still look big," I laugh again and Finn smiles. "but I guess it'll be worth it in the end."

Time goes by and the doctor comes in to check on me.
"Hello Rachel, how are you feeling today?"
"Alright," I tell him. "A bit queasy but I haven't thrown up."
He nods, taking notes on his clipboard. "That's a healthy sign, since you're getting regular symptoms."
I look over at Finn who is smiling to know that our baby has a clearer chance of being alright after the crash.
"Apart from that, any pains? How do your legs feel?" The doctor continues checking on me.
"I can move them a bit better; they don't ache as much."
"And what about your arm?"
I look down at my arm in the cast. "I don't think anything has really changed with it."
Dr McCarthy nods slowly writing down his notes again. "Okay. Well your legs seem to be improving. Hopefully you'll be able to start physiotherapy soon."
"Don't I have to have both of my arms for that? Like, to hang on to the rails each side of me?"
The doctor smiles. "You'll be fine. Usually it would be better for you to have both arms available to balance you, but we can offer you extra help."
I nod and look at Finn who seems to be listening carefully. I know how worried he is, he wants to make sure everything is fine, but he's stressing too much. The doctor has said that I'm improving, and that I'm having healthy pregnancy symptoms, so hopefully he won't worry as much now.
"I'll check up on you again later, Rachel."
"Thank you." I smile and the doctor walks out. I turn to Finn. "That's good. Maybe I'll be coming home soon."
He smiles at me. "I hope so."
There's a knock on the door and Santana walks in. "Hey guys." She smiles.
"Hey Santana." Finn greets her.
"Hey." I smile at her and she walks over to me. We hug and then she pulls flowers from behind her back. I laugh as I see them, a bouquet made of pale pink roses and white tulips along with other small details like a small sign in the middle which reads 'Get Well Soon!'.
"Aw San, you shouldn't have." I smile as I take them from her.
"No, I wanted to. Plus I know you love pink and I saw the roses." She laughs and shrugs. "When I catch my eye on something I have to buy it."
"What, like that time you bought boys boxers because they were blue with a starfish on the front?" I say as she takes a seat next to Finn who smiles at her.
"You have to admit, those boxers were cute. And really comfy." She makes a point.
"You wear my boxers sometimes, Rach. And you say those are comfy." Finn smirks at me and I roll my eyes and laugh.
"Fine, fine. Boys underwear is actually really comfortable."
"I rest my case." Santana holds up her hands having made her point and sits back in the chair. "So, on a more serious note, how are you feeling?"
I nod. "I'm feeling alright. I get queasy but the doctor said that's normal and the swelling is going down on my legs."
"That's good." Santana smiles. She turns to Finn and nudges him. "And how are you?"
"Yeah, yeah I'm fine just looking after Rachel."
Santana raises her eyebrows. "That's not what I asked. How are you feeling? Not what have you been doing."
Finn laughs awkwardly and looks down. "I'm good. I mean, I'm worried about the baby and I want Rach to get better, but I'm not feeling crap or anything."
"That's a better answer." Santana laughs and I smile sympathetically at Finn.
"You don't have to worry so much. The doctor said that my queasiness is a healthy sign that the pregnancy is progressing, and my legs are getting better. I'm in a stable condition slowly improving."
Finn nods. "I know. I just want everything to be okay."
Santana smiles at Finn. "We all do. And it will be."
There's a small silence. "Well, we should probably get a vase for these." I say looking down at the flowers I'm still holding. "Finn, will you get one?" I want to talk to Santana about the baby, and what I told Finn.
"Yeah, sure." Finn smiles and gets up from his seat, leaving the room.
"I can tell he's worried. He's just sort of... quiet." Santana shrugs once Finn has gone.
"I've told him that I'm fine, but I guess there's still a lot going on. I mean, before the crash we were both just normal, and now suddenly I'm in here and we're both going to become parents. It's overwhelming, not just for Finn. So I can see why."
"Yeah." Santana says quietly, sympathetically. "Speaking of parenting, are your dads coming to see you?"
I bite my lip, realising that I haven't called them. I completely forgot. "They don't know I'm here."
"Seriously?" Santana looks surprised. "So they don't know about...?"
I shake my head nervously. "Oh my god, they're going to kill me. They're going to tell me I can't go home after college. Shit. Shit shit shit."
"Rachel, calm down." Santana comes over to me and strokes my hair as I try to hold back my tears. "It's not like you're keeping it. I mean, you're still thinking about it but--"
I shake my head. "That's another thing I wanted to talk to you about." Santana frowns at me, confused and sits back in her seat once I calm down. "I've decided I'm going to give the baby up for adoption."
Santana smiles. "That's good Rach. Then you don't have to worry about your dads. You can come home to them after college, although I'm sure they won't say that you can't, because it'll still just be you."
"I don't just want to give the baby to anyone though."
"Well, obviously."
"No, I mean, I want to give him or her to someone who can't have their own children."
She nods. "That's really sweet. That's a really good thing to do."
"I think part of me wants to do that because that's what my birth mother did with me when she gave me to my dads. Obviously they can't have their own children so she gave me to them. And I guess it's also that because of that they won't take my baby for granted. The parents will take care of them because they've been given a gift to have a child to raise as their own." I smile.
"God, you're making me tear up Berry." Santana laughs. "Well, I think it's a great idea." She pauses for a second. "But you still need to tell your dads."
I nod. "I will. I'll do it later today, I promise."