I know what family feels like

*Long note at the end, I hope you read it*

~

I'm finally able to convince Lucy out of her room on the third day, and man it was a relief.

Not like she was acting as if she was never gonna leave her room ever again, but... I missed hanging out with her. Sure, I'd spend some time in her dorm, but that's not officially allowed so it was never for long. And come on, what's she going to do stuck in her room all day? Read? Pft.

We're taking a walk in the park, but in an area I've never been before. It's exciting, like an adventure! The trees are really thick here, and the grass is really green. Not many people must come here. I swing my arms like a little kid, smiling from the warmth of the sun poking through the branches.

"Ouch, Natsu! Don't swing so much." Lucy says, walking faster so she's right next to me. "Or did you forget you were holding my hand?"

I just smile. No way did I forget.

"I'm just glad you're finally outside. You can't stay shut in forever." I stop walking and look sternly at her.

"Says you," she says, looking at the ground before looking back up at me and sticking her tongue out.

"Hiding from people won't make it any easier. I actually learned a thing or two from our friends, Mira in particular. You know that phrase, 'kill 'em with kindness'? The worst blow to the people who want to see you down, is to put on a smile and have the most fun you've ever had. To show those people that what they say and do and think don't matter to you. That none of that affects you. Although, whenever Mira does that she gets a creepy smile... But that's not the point! The point is that I want you to have fun and grow stronger than everyone else." I take both her hands in mine and hold them to my chest, bringing us closer.

Lucy giggles a little, but her gaze is strong and earnest. "Natsu, I know what 'kill them with kindness' means." I start to lower my gaze, but she squeezes my hands. "That doesn't mean I don't appreciate what you said! It was pretty amazing actually. Thank you." Lucy steps back so we're no longer face to face, and she keeps walking. I walk steadily next to her.

"And since I'm saying such amazing things, I guess I'll be the one to say this." I look at the trees in front of us, the tiny flowers in the grass, anything but Lucy's face as I say, "we've both lost our parents. We've both lost family. But we're each other's family, remember? And we have amazing, crazy friends to be our family as well."

I can feel Lucy's eyes on me, but I don't look at her. She seems to examine me, or my profile, before speaking, one hundred percent serious.

"You know, mature Natsu is great and all, but he sure is a big change from the happy-go-lucky doofus I fell in love with."

My eyes widen, and I feel all the blood in my body rush to my face. I can practically feel Lucy's sudden shyness, so I turn to face her. The wind blows her blonde hair in front of her face, and I can only imagine she's glad for the cover. I reach a hand up and move her hair away from her face. Like I imagined, her cheeks are beet red and she won't meet my eyes.

"I... I... Iloveyou." I stumble through the words, feeling embarrassed until the end of time that I messed that up. I'd be surprised she even heard anything sensible from that.

"Did... did you just say 'olive you'?" She looks up at me, starting to laugh.

"N-no! I didn't! What does that even mean?" My reaction catapults her into even more laughter, and there's nothing I can do. "Stop laughing at me!"

"Come on," she manages to say through giggles, taking my arm and walking further.

~ i n t e n s e . t i m e . s k i p ~