THE TRUTH CAN BE A HARD PILL TO SWALLOW

Start from the beginning

"Those are the very reasons Muslims give after they commit terrorist acts," Othello replied.

"Again, you are correct. Most of us do . . ."

"Us?" he interrupted.

"Yes. Us. I am a Muslim and these people you call terrorists are my brothers, even if they are misguided. But please allow me to finish," Khan said. Othello nodded. "Most of us engaged in these acts use these excuses. But Allah went further to say in that verse, 'Our Messengers came to them with Clear Signs but even after that many of them committed outrages in the earth.' Allah is telling us that He sent Messengers and Prophets to teach us the truth and the proper way to conduct ourselves, and they performed Miracles as proof of Allah's power and their legitimacy. But the people still exceeded the limits with respect to killing and other things. This is the state of some of my brothers, today. So do not judge an entire people by the misguided acts of a few, just as you would not condemn all Christians for the horrific slavery that took place in your country, or the utter annihilation of the indigenous race that inhabited North America by good God-fearing Christians."

Othello smirked, "You've got a point," he admitted, seemingly unmoved.

"Let me go a little further on that point, God willing," said Khan. "Islam categorically prohibits killing women and children, unless they are taking part in the battle. There is a well-known narration, or hadith, which is a saying or tradition of the Prophet Muhammad, may Allah bless him and grant him peace." Khan would say this every time the Prophet's name was mentioned. "In which a woman was found killed in one the expeditions of the Messenger of Allah, so the Messenger of Allah rebuked that, and he prohibited killing women and children."

"If these are from books that you live by, then why do so many Muslims do the opposite?" Othello asked bitterly.

"There you go again, generalizing." Khan replied. "But to answer your question, generally speaking, some are controlled by their own desires, whether they be greed, power, or political difference. Some are just pawns who cannot read or write but love Allah and His Messenger (SAW) and are manipulated by false interpretations of the Holy writings to commit impermissible acts."

"Pawns?" Othello responded. "Are these pawns the ones who blow themselves up, believing they're going to heaven to bang out a hundred virgins?"

Khan simply smiled at Othello's disrespectful remark and calmly said, "If you are referring to what your government calls suicide bombers, I would say yes, for the most part. Suicide is outright prohibited in Islam. Ahmed, pull up Surah an Nisa ayat 29 and 30."

"Yes, Khan," the computer replied, and the requested information appeared on the screen.

"Allah the Mighty, the Majestic, said in the Quran, 'Do not kill yourselves, for Allah is compassionate towards you. Whoever does so, in transgression and wrongfully, we shall roast in a fire, and that is an easy matter for Allah.' The Prophet Muhammad (SAW) said: 'Of those before you, there was once a wounded man who could not bear it, so he took a knife and cut his arm, and bled until he died. Allah Most High said, "My slave has taken his life before I have, so I forbid him Paradise,"'" Khan explained. "This is proof that those misguided actions will not get you into Paradise, and Allah knows best. It is only upon misguidance and going astray from the true teachings of Islam that these brothers commit their well-intentioned acts. And it is seventy-two wives among the six things promised to Martyrs into Paradise, Mr. Greene."

"Damn," he replied. "I really thought you Muslims were supposed to kill yourselves fighting for your God." he said.

"No. You will receive the blessings of being a Martyr for fighting and dying in a cause of Allah. Here is a clear example: If I am fighting an enemy and I see twenty of them, armed and ready to fight, and I strap on a bomb and blow them and myself up, I just committed suicide. Now let's say I see the same twenty men and I grab a gun and go into battle against them. I may die or I may survive. I left the decision with Allah. If I die, I will die a Martyr, if the cause was for the sake of Allah. And Allah knows best."