Chapter 7

Lafayette was home alone when he heard the door open. Assuming it was his adoptive brother, Alex, he quietly crept down the stairs, and waited behind the wall to scare him. Hearing the footsteps approaching, he jumped out of the corner and screamed. He did receive  a scream in a response, but it wasn't Alex. in fact, Alex was no where to be found. Just Peggy Schuyler dressed in a red shirt, jeans, and red lipstick.

"Non Alex," He says, looking at Peggy.

"Who are toi?" Lafayette asks, looking at the frightened Peggy up and down. 

"I'm Maria." She says carefully. Lafayette laughs.

"Non, toi  are Peggy Schuyler. Eliza's sister." He smiles. "What is with your tenue?" He asks, referring to her get-up.

Peggy quivered. "I"m looking for Alex. And no, I am not Peggy Schuyler. I don't know what you're talking about. I thought Alex was home. I'll come back later-" She says quietly before backing out the door, without leaving anytime for Lafayette to say anything. 

Lafayette watched the door close. 

"Quelle sont toi aller a faire?" He mutters, before trekking back up the stairs.

---

That was a close one. Peggy shivers, recalling the events as she walked down the street. Lafayette almost caught her- he did catch her, actually. He knew that she was Peggy, not Maria. Maybe she convinced him. Hopefully, he'll keep his mouth shut. Probably not, though.

She pulled the black hoodie tied around her waist on. She pulled the hood over her head. She was barley recognizable as Peggy most of the time, but now that she didn't want to be recognized, people knew her from all over. Life was difficult. 

---

"Toi will not believe what happened." Lafayette recalled to Alex as he started on his homework. 

"What?" Alex asks.

"Peggy Schuyler walked into our house today. She claimed she was a girl named Maria, but I was sure it was Peggy. How crazy is that?"

ALex stopped, mid-math problem. "Maria?" He asked.

"Oui." Lafayette answered,

"What did she look like?" Alex asked.

" Very beau. Skin like mine, hair as curly as Laurens, and lips as red as our blood." Lafayette, taken away in his long string of similes.

Suddenly it was all piecing together in Alex's head. Peggy Schuyler- Eliza's younger sister he had heard about but never seen- had to be Maria. How did Maria so quickly meet him and James at school? Why did he see Maria in yellow? Why did Maria hesitate that fateful night at home?

Because Maria was really Peggy Schuyler.